Robert Larder

Default [q] scaling down a whaleboat

You mean the Montague whaler the navy used to use? If so there`s some info
in old copies of "The Admiralty Manual of Seamanship" (British Admiralty,
that is). My copy containing info. was from around 1934, I don`t know when
it became obselete and was dropped from the book.
As you say, great lines- guess a naval museum could help? Dunno if they
could be scaled down directly though, the beam IIRC was 7 ft something.....
Good luck.
Bob
BIANCO ROBERTO wrote:
Hi all,

Whaleboats have amazing lines, don't they, but are also 24-28 ft long
and certainly no cartoppers. One could (naively) think of just
getting the plans for a whaleboat, scale all dimensions down by half,
choose lapstrake construction, symmetrize the oars positions, discard
a couple of seats together with some whaling implements, and there
you have a mini-whaleboat for two people. But then, on second
thought, maybe not all the dimensions should be scaled down linearly,
just by half, and
a more refined approach should be used for the various parts of the
boat and rigging. So...

1) what is the correct procedure to scale a boat down ?

2) where can I find plans for a whaleboat ?

Roberto