Terry

Default Whaleboat project

This is my first post.
The project I've been working the past year is a 26ft fibreglass Navy
whaleboat (commissioned 1960) double-ender, that I'm converting into a
tugboat-style "river yacht," with plans for weekend gunk-holing, river
exploration, and eventually doing the "Great Circle Route" up the east
U.S. Coast through the Lakes and down the Mississippi or Tim-Tom
Waterway. Vessel is full keel trawler. Draws 2ft. About 8 kt hull speed.
The previous owner was a retired commercial tug captain who had converted
the formerly open boat to a tug-shrimp trawler and used it nicely for
nearly 20 years before health issues intervened. Boat is near Tampa,
Florida. I'll be finishing up the glass work soon, and plan to take a
leave from my job in order to finish the project. The hardest part is
figuring out what I want - thus this plea to the group. Experiences and
advice would be greatly appreciated.

Current concerns:

Windows: Anyone experienced with a manufacturer? I have eight 19x32"
vertical sliders, including 2 in sliding doors. They'll be mounted in
cabin walls of 1" thick cored fglass. (bagged Nydacore) 4 windows mount on
a curved section of cabin. I plan to recess the sills but would prefer the
window frame verticals to screw directly to the curved cabin section. The
tugboat curve is radical and the aluminum extrusions I've seen so far
won't bend, so I'm open for other options.

Electrical:
The boat is overpowered with a Perkins 4.236M. A friend in the marine
electric business suggests running an A/C generator off the PTO that
formerly ran a hydraulic pump for shrimping gear. This will charge battery
bank with a constant-volt charger and provide AC when the engine is
running. An inverter should run AC a few hours a night off battery bank.
Is anyone familiar with an electrical setup like this? Engine can run to
provide AC, but I'd like to be able to run the cabin air conditioner off
the battery bank at least a few hours a night. (Florida) Should I go
24volt?

- Due to engine location bumped against a bulkhead, the generator will
have to be belt driven to the side. I imagine some kind of
constant-velocity clutch is going to be required along with a belt
tensioning mechanism. Where do I get info on how to do this?

- I might be able to get four 8D batteries in-line below the cabin sole.
They'll be in the bilge but mounted above any water level. Anything wrong
with this set up?

Tankage:
All water and fuel tanks will have to be custom as I need the largest
possible capacity and have very little space. I'd figure at least 50 gal
fuel, and 35 water for a few days cruising. There are some local tank
builders nearby. I'm planning aluminum right now.

Head: Is anyone familiar with the Thetford Electra Magic MSD? Holding tank
space is going to be tough to fit in the available space and this unit has
built in tank. I'd like to know how, and how well, this unit works, it
ain't cheap. I have the head located in the bow section just aft of a rope
locker. That takes up the entire bow section and you have to open the deck
hatch to use the toilet. ("Headroom" has a whole new meaning on this
boat.)

Miscellany, feel free to commment:
Hydraulic steering, two stations, plus a removable tiller.

Prop guard to be run off keel past rudder. Probably steel. We plan to go
up rivers as far as possible and do not wish to chunk submerged logs.

Ample wood is planned both interior and exterior. Teak handrails and
toerails, mahogany taffrail, teak cabin sole, fine mahogany cabinetry and
consoles.

Cozy Cabin for 2: 8-8"L x 6' with nearly 8' headroom (before headliner and
ceiling mounted radio equipment, engine controls, and guages.)Cabin roof
is sun-deck and runs 3/4 of the LOA. It works without being top heavy, I
took the old shrimper to sea and walked around the roof perimeter while
underway in 2+ swells. Experienced very little roll.

Need cabin heat ideas for northern climes and the winter temps that folks
are not aware occur down here in the south (wood or charcoal burner?)

Boat is trailerable. 3 axle aluminum trailer needs overhaul. I plan to put
the Patuca Princess in a marina, and have someone else do the trailer.

All comments appreciated,
Terry
P.S. (I'm a cruising sailor, the wife likes tent camping. She will not go
offshore. The boat project was all her idea and is named after a river we
canoed together in Honduras. I wanted to deliver mail and groceries to
Indians in a paddle wheeler. We compromised.)

Project Boat Phil Smith General 4 March 30th 04 01:42 PM
project planning example William R. Watt Boat Building 8 January 22nd 04 12:10 AM
Project boats Just Us Boat Building 7 December 13th 03 04:27 AM
Looking for project Sailboat? Graham Boat Building 11 August 25th 03 12:01 PM