BoatBanter.com

-   -   [q] scaling down a whaleboat (https://www.boatbanter.com/boat-building/6726-%5Bq%5D-scaling-down-whaleboat.html)

BIANCO ROBERTO March 11th 04 06:29 PM

[q] scaling down a whaleboat

Hi all,

Whaleboats have amazing lines, don't they, but are also 24-28 ft long
and certainly no cartoppers. One could (naively) think of just getting
the plans for a whaleboat, scale all dimensions down by half, choose
lapstrake construction, symmetrize the oars positions, discard a couple
of seats together with some whaling implements, and there you have a
mini-whaleboat for two people. But then, on second thought, maybe not
all the dimensions should be scaled down linearly, just by half, and
a more refined approach should be used for the various parts of the
boat and rigging. So...

1) what is the correct procedure to scale a boat down ?

2) where can I find plans for a whaleboat ?

Roberto

Robert Larder March 11th 04 06:43 PM

[q] scaling down a whaleboat

You mean the Montague whaler the navy used to use? If so there`s some info
in old copies of "The Admiralty Manual of Seamanship" (British Admiralty,
that is). My copy containing info. was from around 1934, I don`t know when
it became obselete and was dropped from the book.
As you say, great lines- guess a naval museum could help? Dunno if they
could be scaled down directly though, the beam IIRC was 7 ft something.....
Good luck.
Bob

Stephen Baker March 11th 04 10:57 PM

[q] scaling down a whaleboat

Roberto says:

snip whaleboat scaling question

Would it not be simpler to find plans for a peapod?

;-)

Steve

rnf2 March 12th 04 07:44 AM

[q] scaling down a whaleboat

On 11 Mar 2004 22:57:50 GMT, ospam (Stephen Baker)
wrote:

Roberto says:

snip whaleboat scaling question

Would it not be simpler to find plans for a peapod?

;-)

Steve

Depends on the peapod :)

The local boat club out by my mothers place races whaleboats... But I
don't think these are the same :) 5 rowers with two of the oars
longer than the other three, a cox at the rear. they used to be used
on the harbours and rivers in the 1800's to keep the crews fit during
the off season by races, beam is about 3 foot at the max, and are
quite long things.

Kawhia's whaleboat regatta
(New Zealand Herald, 20.12.2002)

Hard-working marine antiques hit the water at Kawhia on New Year's Day
for the annual racing whaleboats regatta, held since 1910.
The whaleboats date back to racing in Auckland in the 1880s, and four
boats from that era still race in Kawhia alongside replicas of the
five-oared craft.

Nine races are held on the day, beginning at 10am, with plenty of
carnival-style activities on land near the Kawhia Wharf.

A similar race with the whaleboats runs on December 28 from 1.30pm, at
Te Waitere, on the Waitomo side of the harbour.

Contact: regatta secretary Sandra Drummond
(07) 8710822

steveJ March 15th 04 02:39 AM

[q] scaling down a whaleboat

Roberto,
There are several types of boats refered to as whaleboats.
I assume you mean the small boats used by New England Whalers for taking
off a ship and harpooning a whale. I have thought about doing just this
thing but after doing a little research I find that not all whale boats
are alike. You may be able to get lines plans for a whaleboat at the
Mystic Seaport Museum in Connecticut. I have a photo of a boat they have
there if you would like to see it.
Otherwise, the boat you are describing sounds an awful lot like a St.
Lawrence Skiff. I have plans for one of these and I believe this boat is
about as close as I've seen to a scaled down whaleboat. The boat I have
plans for (Annie)has a waterline that is wider at the center than a
whaleboat would be (proportional to the size).The bottom is flatter. I
think this might be a good thing in a small boat.
But apparently others did not think so and there have been other boats
designed that use a very narrow bottom width such as the Adirondack
Guideboat that may have been derived from a whaleboat.
This photo is an early Adirondack Guideboat and they were subsequently
much refined.
http://www.geocities.com/new_old_boa.../index/gb5.jpg
Here are the refined versions
http://www.geocities.com/new_old_boa...dex/gboats.htm

If you decide to build one of these let me know and I will be happy to
offer info. I built one last year using the strip method and it works
great.