Jürgen Spelter

Default material for our beds

Hi,

me and my wife bought a 28 year old dutch motoryacht for long term cruising
in european rivers and channels.

Under the after deck we have a sleeping cabin of prox. 2m x 1.5m. Height may
be obout 1.2m.
On a massive wooden ground there is a mattress made of foam, we want to
replace.

What would be the best material to built a comfortable and durable bed for 2
persons.

My choices would be:
a) another mattress made of foam, but is that really comfortable?
b) a mattress from the bed store, that fits into the cabin, but what happens
with high humidity?
c) an air bed. They are offered for camping and home use and they are
promoted in Germany the last few years. benefit would be: no humidity will
be taken up, easy to imstall and to replace for cleaning. I`m thinking of
about 1 foot heigh air beds for using at home, not of a normal camping airn
mattress.

It would be kind to participate from Your experiences and to hear Your
opinions.

regards from germany

Juergen

Dan

"Jürgen Spelter" wrote in message
[...]

From my point of view, without taking into account humidity and all other
weather considerations I'd aim for a store bought matress, but humidity will
kill it. So if the choice is between foam and air, i'd go with foam, air
beds are bloody uncomfortable after a week.

Just my opinion.

Jim

I bought an air bed, for my trawler, from these people:
www.regin-inc.com/air-beds/air-bed-custom.htm

"Special made-to-order air mattress sizes available for non-standard
beds, RV's, boats, etc."

It was very inexpensive and is GREAT. I missed my water bed until I got
this thing. Every night I'm happy I bought it.

Jürgen Spelter wrote:

[...]

Lew Hodgett

"Jürgen Spelter" writes:

me and my wife bought a 28 year old dutch motoryacht for long term
cruising
in european rivers and channels.

snip

What would be the best material to built a comfortable and durable bed for
2
persons.

There are companies who offer epoxy coated coil, innerspring mattresses
specifically designed for boats here in the US.

I'd be surprised if you couldn't find similar in Germany.

If you can't, importing from the US might be a consideration especially with
a 1.3:1 ratio between the Euro and the USD.

HTH

--
Lew

Visit: http://home.earthlink.net/~lewhodgett for Pictures

Rodney Myrvaagnes

On Thu, 4 Mar 2004 16:55:48 +0100, "Jürgen Spelter"
wrote:

[...]

My wie and I have used foam mattresses at home for 45 years. The foam
comes in several densities and hardnesses, so getting it comfortable
is a matter of trying it in the store.

Once you have chosen the foam, you can have it cut to fit the space on
the boat and covered with a mattress cover.

Our boat is only 23 years old, and the original foam cushions are
still holding up, but I don't know what the foam is.

Rodney Myrvaagnes NYC J36 Gjo/a

"Happy is he that taketh thy little ones and dasheth them upon the stones." __Psalm 137

P.C.

Hi

"Jürgen Spelter" skrev i en meddelelse
Hi,
On a massive wooden ground there is a mattress made of foam, we want to
replace.

What would be the best material to built a comfortable and durable bed for

2
persons.

Take an advise from somone who tried several options thru many years.
Try search for "Dunlopillo" ------- not sure it is spelled right, but this
is the best "foam" material you will ever find. The foam is closed cells so
it can not be worn flat and it will last double the time of plastic foam
ones.
It maby cost tree times what a plastic foam one will cost, but you proberly
even realise that this is better than anything else you ever used.
They are made from some natural rubber and is simply the only right thing,
when you once tried one. -------- beside they will not soak or be damp, as
the cells are closed bobbles.
P.C.

B. Alles

wrote:

[...]

Its just right that Dunloppillo is the best and most expensive too to
sleep on.
You can find more on their site http://www.dunlopillo.de/start.htm
Regards,
Ben
rhys

On Fri, 05 Mar 2004 13:03:54 +0100, B. Alles postmaster@hdcnl wrote:

On Thu, 4 Mar 2004 16:55:48 +0100, "Jürgen Spelter"

Juergen

Its just right that Dunloppillo is the best and most expensive too to
sleep on.
You can find more on their site http://www.dunlopillo.de/start.htm
Regards,
Ben

I seem to recall that this is quite an old product, given that the
first time I remember hearing the trade name was in one of Eric
Hiscock's 1950s pioneer cruising book.

It certainly bodes well for "time-tested", if that is the case.

R.

B. Alles

On Fri, 05 Mar 2004 09:32:58 -0500, rhys wrote:

On Fri, 05 Mar 2004 13:03:54 +0100, B. Alles postmaster@hdcnl wrote:

On Thu, 4 Mar 2004 16:55:48 +0100, "Jürgen Spelter"

Juergen

Its just right that Dunloppillo is the best and most expensive too to
sleep on.
You can find more on their site http://www.dunlopillo.de/start.htm
Regards,
Ben

I seem to recall that this is quite an old product, given that the
first time I remember hearing the trade name was in one of Eric
Hiscock's 1950s pioneer cruising book.

It certainly bodes well for "time-tested", if that is the case.

R.

Hi,

The Firm was several years ago a part of Dunlop (yes that one of the
auto tyres from good old England) so it could be right that Eric
Hiscock wrote about it in the fifties.
I believe that there factory for beds is in Germany as well but iám
not certain about that.
Regards,

Ben
Peter

wrote:

[...]

Another alternative is a futon matress.

When we bought our yacht up in Brisbane she came with an obviously
custom made sprung bed matress, double size and shaped to fit the
stern cabin.

It was probably made when she was built since it came with an
interesting collage of stains and wildlife. We've chucked that much
bug killer on the mattress, it's probably an environmental hazard now.

So we're just getting a futon mattress made up to replace it, plus
other futons to replace the foam mattresses on all the other berths.

It's easier (and cheaper) to get made to shape than a shop bought
mattress and we're having ties sown in to keep it in place and
intergral lee clothes to keep us in place if need be (although you
might not need those on the rivers of Europe).

Plus, you can roll them up to get at the storage under the berth a lot
easier than manhandling a big sprung or foam mattress (again ties
being sown in so it will stay rolled up while we're rooting around).

And it's not too hard to get them up on deck and thrown across the
boom for a good airing every now and again.

Throw a woolen underblanket on it and it's cool in summer and warm in
winter.

Just a thought - hope it helps.

Best wishes

Peter

www.oceanodyssey.net
"Do not measure your life by the number of breaths you take,
Rather by the number of times life just takes your breath away"