notta chance

Default Building the Six Hour Canoe

For my first project i am going to build the 'six hour canoe' from the book.

Anyone have any experience or know of related websites?

Thanks!

Matt Langenfeld

Keep in mind that 6 hours may be 6 hours of "touch time". The waiting
for glue to dry may not be included. Or at least that's what I heard
from someone who built one before.

Let us know how it turns out

Matt
JEM Watercraft
www.jem.e-boat.net

notta chance wrote:

For my first project i am going to build the 'six hour canoe' from the book.

Anyone have any experience or know of related websites?

Thanks!

William R. Watt

Matt Langenfeld ) writes:
Keep in mind that 6 hours may be 6 hours of "touch time". The waiting
for glue to dry may not be included. Or at least that's what I heard
from someone who built one before.

a few weeks ago I put a project plan for a small plywood boat on my
website that shows the waiting time. look under "Boats" then
"Boatbuilding" on my website.

homepage: www.ncf.ca/~ag384/top.htm
Jacques

"notta chance" wrote in message ...
For my first project i am going to build the 'six hour canoe' from the book.

Anyone have any experience or know of related websites?

Thanks!

If you can build it in less than 6 days, post a message explaining how :-)

Jacques
http://bateau.com
Backyard Renegade

"notta chance" wrote in message ...
For my first project i am going to build the 'six hour canoe' from the book.

Anyone have any experience or know of related websites?

Thanks!

Funny that your handle is "not a chance" as it is what I would say if
you ask if you can build it in 6 hours! First time builder... Call it
the 16 hour canoe or maybe 26 if you work at a slower pace But so
what, you will end up with a little boat and a bad addiction. Yes, you
will build more boats, just the way it is. Let us know how you do,
good luck on your build, Scotty

Drake Christensen

If you can build it in less than 6 days, post a message explaining how :-)

Exactly. It's easy to build but it probably took me six weeks between
waiting for epoxy to cure and all of life's distractions...something
about my boatshop being a "garage" or something...
William R. Watt

the 6 hr canoe can be built in 6 hrs. a lot of people did it at the annual
Mystic Seaport Museum festival or someplace and it was written up in
Wooden Boat. I don't know if they counted waiting for the glue to dry but
the inexperienced families who built them launched them the same day.
maybe 2-3 people can build a 6 hr canoe in 6 hrs. I don't know if there
were any solo builders. Some were father-and-son teams. How much can a 10
year old add to productivity? "No, Dad, it goes on the other way around"?

and Harold Payson and a helper built a 16 ft Windsprint hull in one
afternoon. he says so right in "New(?) Instant Boats". I'm sure the
Weldwood glue wasn't dry but the ring nails were holding it together
anyway.

homepage: www.ncf.ca/~ag384/top.htm
Pierre

SIx-hour canoe was my first project,more like 6 weekends, spent lotsa timein
the moaning chair

pierre
"William R. Watt" wrote in message
the 6 hr canoe can be built in 6 hrs. a lot of people did it at the annual
Mystic Seaport Museum festival or someplace and it was written up in
Wooden Boat. I don't know if they counted waiting for the glue to dry but
the inexperienced families who built them launched them the same day.
maybe 2-3 people can build a 6 hr canoe in 6 hrs. I don't know if there
were any solo builders. Some were father-and-son teams. How much can a 10
year old add to productivity? "No, Dad, it goes on the other way around"?

and Harold Payson and a helper built a 16 ft Windsprint hull in one
afternoon. he says so right in "New(?) Instant Boats". I'm sure the
Weldwood glue wasn't dry but the ring nails were holding it together
anyway.

----
William R Watt National Capital FreeNet Ottawa's free community

network
homepage: www.ncf.ca/~ag384/top.htm

David Flew

Default Was Building the Six Hour Canoe

Flew's Theory
My theory is that any job on my boat takes minimum 4 times as long as it
would if not for being on a boat. And this is for well organised, planned in
advance jobs. And that's not counting the time to travel to and from the
boat.

From a base of 100% to do it in my garage:-
a) add 100 % because of the tools. 50% in carting all the tools you think
you will need, 50% in working without the ones you didn't bring but really
should have.
b) add 100% because of working on a boat. Could be space, could be the
boat won't stay still, could be weather
c) add 100% for distractions. Other boats, boat owners, just nice sitting
in the sun,
That gets us to 400%. For a job not properly thought out, planned, and
researched, just double it.

My other theory is that when you need to change the lamp at the top of the
mast, you might as well start by removing the prop. It can't possible be
required, but no job on a boat is as simple as it looks, and will inevitably
involve or disclose unrelated problems. If you start by removing the prop,
the rest of the lamp change job will be simple by comparison. Then all you
have to do is put the prop back.

( and I have no idea how I would remove the prop without slipping the boat,
probably start by changing the masthead lamp .... )

My son wants to know if you take 6 hours to build the 6 hour canoe, how long
will it take to sink?

David

"Old Nick" wrote in message
On 3 Mar 2004 08:35:49 -0800, (Backyard
Renegade) vaguely proposed a theory
......and in reply I say!:

I actually abhor the idea of going into _any_ boatbuilding project
with the idea of doing it as fast as possible.

"notta chance" wrote in message

For my first project i am going to build the 'six hour canoe' from the

book.

Anyone have any experience or know of related websites?

Thanks!

Funny that your handle is "not a chance" as it is what I would say if
you ask if you can build it in 6 hours! First time builder... Call it
the 16 hour canoe or maybe 26 if you work at a slower pace But so
what, you will end up with a little boat and a bad addiction. Yes, you
will build more boats, just the way it is. Let us know how you do,
good luck on your build, Scotty

.........no I'm not!

Spike....Spike? Hello?