David Flew

Default Was Building the Six Hour Canoe

Flew's Theory
My theory is that any job on my boat takes minimum 4 times as long as it
would if not for being on a boat. And this is for well organised, planned in
advance jobs. And that's not counting the time to travel to and from the
boat.

From a base of 100% to do it in my garage:-
a) add 100 % because of the tools. 50% in carting all the tools you think
you will need, 50% in working without the ones you didn't bring but really
should have.
b) add 100% because of working on a boat. Could be space, could be the
boat won't stay still, could be weather
c) add 100% for distractions. Other boats, boat owners, just nice sitting
in the sun,
That gets us to 400%. For a job not properly thought out, planned, and
researched, just double it.

My other theory is that when you need to change the lamp at the top of the
mast, you might as well start by removing the prop. It can't possible be
required, but no job on a boat is as simple as it looks, and will inevitably
involve or disclose unrelated problems. If you start by removing the prop,
the rest of the lamp change job will be simple by comparison. Then all you
have to do is put the prop back.

( and I have no idea how I would remove the prop without slipping the boat,
probably start by changing the masthead lamp .... )

My son wants to know if you take 6 hours to build the 6 hour canoe, how long
will it take to sink?

David

"Old Nick" wrote in message
On 3 Mar 2004 08:35:49 -0800, (Backyard
Renegade) vaguely proposed a theory
......and in reply I say!:

I actually abhor the idea of going into _any_ boatbuilding project
with the idea of doing it as fast as possible.

"notta chance" wrote in message

For my first project i am going to build the 'six hour canoe' from the

book.

Anyone have any experience or know of related websites?

Thanks!

Funny that your handle is "not a chance" as it is what I would say if
you ask if you can build it in 6 hours! First time builder... Call it
the 16 hour canoe or maybe 26 if you work at a slower pace But so
what, you will end up with a little boat and a bad addiction. Yes, you
will build more boats, just the way it is. Let us know how you do,
good luck on your build, Scotty

.........no I'm not!

Spike....Spike? Hello?