Old Nick

Default Was Building the Six Hour Canoe

On Thu, 4 Mar 2004 19:13:26 +1100, "David Flew"
vaguely proposed a theory
.......and in reply I say!:

I must be totally inept. I thought _every_ job was like
this......especially the bit about the prop G

Flew's Theory
My theory is that any job on my boat takes minimum 4 times as long as it
would if not for being on a boat. And this is for well organised, planned in

From a base of 100% to do it in my garage:-

My other theory is that when you need to change the lamp at the top of the
mast, you might as well start by removing the prop. It can't possible be

( and I have no idea how I would remove the prop without slipping the boat,
probably start by changing the masthead lamp .... )

My son wants to know if you take 6 hours to build the 6 hour canoe, how long
will it take to sink?

Sounds like a wise and worthwhile lad to have around!
************************************************** ** sorry

..........no I'm not!

Spike....Spike? Hello?
Backyard Renegade

Default Building the Six Hour Canoe

Old Nick wrote in message . ..
On 3 Mar 2004 08:35:49 -0800, (Backyard
Renegade) vaguely proposed a theory
......and in reply I say!:

I actually abhor the idea of going into _any_ boatbuilding project
with the idea of doing it as fast as possible.

Obviously you don't know me or you would see the humor in your
statement. I don't do anything "as fast as possible". Quite the
contrary, I am quite lazy and usually usually do things as slow as
possible... Here is a peek at the results of plenty of sleep and
innattention to detail or anything else that could cause stress:
http://rbbpix.com/toofast.htm ;-)
Scotty, The Backyard Renegade!

"notta chance" wrote in message ...
For my first project i am going to build the 'six hour canoe' from the book.

Anyone have any experience or know of related websites?

Thanks!

Funny that your handle is "not a chance" as it is what I would say if
you ask if you can build it in 6 hours! First time builder... Call it
the 16 hour canoe or maybe 26 if you work at a slower pace But so
what, you will end up with a little boat and a bad addiction. Yes, you
will build more boats, just the way it is. Let us know how you do,
good luck on your build, Scotty

************************************************** ** sorry

.........no I'm not!

Spike....Spike? Hello?

Brian Combs

not bad, was this a 6 hour dink?

nice job

Brian

William R. Watt

Old Nick ) writes:
On Thu, 4 Mar 2004 19:13:26 +1100, "David Flew"
vaguely proposed a theory
......and in reply I say!:

I must be totally inept. I thought _every_ job was like
this......especially the bit about the prop G

moreso on these lightweight space-saving environmental automobiles. just
discovered to change the thermostat I have to remove the distributor. not
as bad as one Mazda on which to change the timing belt you have to lift
the engine out of the vehicle.

to change powder room faucetts recently I had to take the wall hung sink
down which meant cleaning and painting the wall behind the sink. while I
was at it I decided to wire brush the surface rust off the hanging plate
and gave it a couple coats of rust penetrating paint, all of which
required drying time.

homepage: www.ncf.ca/~ag384/top.htm
Andrew Butchart

The Six Hour Canoe is amazingly similar to the "Cheap Canoe" from bateau.com
There's a number of builders on the message boards found through the links
on http://www.bateau.com and there's an excellent tutorial on stitch & glue
(a.k.a. slop and goo) on the site as well. It takes some navigating though
since it looks like they're re-disigning the site.
--
Andrew Butchart

http://www.floatingbear.ca

"notta chance" wrote in message
For my first project i am going to build the 'six hour canoe' from the

book.

Anyone have any experience or know of related websites?

Thanks!

Jacques

"Andrew Butchart" wrote in message .. .
The Six Hour Canoe is amazingly similar to the "Cheap Canoe" from bateau.com
There's a number of builders on the message boards found through the links
on http://www.bateau.com and there's an excellent tutorial on stitch & glue
(a.k.a. slop and goo) on the site as well. It takes some navigating though
since it looks like they're re-disigning the site.
--
Andrew Butchart

http://www.floatingbear.ca

"notta chance" wrote in message
For my first project i am going to build the 'six hour canoe' from the

book.

Anyone have any experience or know of related websites?

Thanks!

It may look similar but there are major differences between the
bateau.com canoe and the 60 hr canoe.
The 6 hr canoe has a lot more rocker than the Cheap Canoe.
The 6hr canoe is designed as a wooden boat with stem pieces and other
wood framing, there is no such thing in the Cheap Canoe, the structure
is all fiberglass.
The Cheap Canoe is much easier to build. The plans are free, you don't
have to pay for the book.
Check the free plans here and you will see the difference:
http://www.bateau.com/free/freeplans.htm

Click around and you will find several web sites and pictures of the
Cheap Canoe.
It's a large PDF file, give it time to download.

Jacques.
Old Nick

On 9 Mar 2004 05:47:21 -0800, (Jacques) vaguely proposed
a theory
.......and in reply I say!:

Sorry. I love the "US units" vs "Metric" idea. It _is_ called
"imperial", although I can see certain propblems with that G.