posted to rec.boats.building
BJ

Default engine for "big jake"

Hi all,

I have been searching the web for months and settled on a 20ft dory
caled "big jake" as my first ever build. I like the lines and the
constructions looks (I suspect I will live to regret this) doable. You
can see a copy of the plans at
http://www.boat-links.com/Atkinco/Ut...s/BigJake.html. I am looking
for alternative inboard engines that may be suitable. Anyone with
advice and some idea of costs would be greatly appreciated.

Regards

BJ

posted to rec.boats.building
CyberSam

"BJ" wrote in message
oups.com...
Hi all,

I have been searching the web for months and settled on a 20ft dory
caled "big jake" as my first ever build. I like the lines and the
constructions looks (I suspect I will live to regret this) doable. You
can see a copy of the plans at
http://www.boat-links.com/Atkinco/Ut...s/BigJake.html. I am looking
for alternative inboard engines that may be suitable. Anyone with
advice and some idea of costs would be greatly appreciated.

Regards

BJ

I think an old Antique Engine would be real cool

posted to rec.boats.building
Sal's Dad

Hi BJ

I have several thoughts on your project:

-- The dory shape was developed for a very specific application, and it
was NOT pleasure boating. Atkin waxes enthusiastic about this one, but all
his writing for Motor Boating is very cheery and encouraging. Some of his
designs are "classic", some brilliant (such as Rescue Minor), others simply
filled his busy publishing schedule. My family had a power dory of similar
lines; it was EXTREMELY wet, and uncomfortable. Before you build a big
dory, make sure you have tried out a boat of this shape!

-- Construction materials and techniques have come a long way in 60
years, even if boat design hasn't. Traditionally built small wooden boats
are labor- and material-intensive, high maintenance, and frequently have a
very short life span. Consider modern systems, such as ply/epoxy. Have
you read Payson's book?

-- Likewise powerplants. It is hard to beat a modern small outboard for
power/weight performance, reliability, ease of construction, small size, and
cost. If you do choose to go with an inboard, consider a small diesel, such
as Kubota (tractor version, NOT marine). Robb White has written extensively
in MAIB about his 18hp diesel installation in his "Rescue Minor" variation,
I forget if he discusses the engine on his website.

-- This is a BIG boatbuilding project for a first-timer. Consider
starting with a very small boat - built with the same materials/techniques
you will be using. For a first dory, look at Bolger's Teal, or any other
small rowing design. Teal will go together in a weekend, and will be a
useful messing-around-boat, whatever you ultimately build as a "real boat".
And the experience gained will save you FAR more than the time and materials
for the little boat.

-- Finally, this is the wrong board to look to for support and advice in
your project. At the least, you should be running your ideas past the Atkin
Yahoo group; consider the Duckworks group as well...

Good luck!
Sal's Dad
(spending the blizzard indoors, dining room table occupied by scraps of
luaun and a 1/4 scale model of a variation on Atkin's "Shoals Runner" - full
scale to be of aluminum plate, powered by a Datsun pickup truck Diesel)

I have been searching the web for months and settled on a 20ft dory
caled "big jake" as my first ever build. I like the lines and the
constructions looks (I suspect I will live to regret this) doable. You
can see a copy of the plans at
http://www.boat-links.com/Atkinco/Ut...s/BigJake.html. I am looking
for alternative inboard engines that may be suitable. Anyone with
advice and some idea of costs would be greatly appreciated.

Regards

BJ

Nanni Diesel Engine Problems [email protected] General 10 February 3rd 06 02:41 PM
Atomic 4 Gas Engine Replacement Question ... Thomas Wentworth Boat Building 9 January 23rd 06 02:43 AM
Sailboat engine rebuild, replace, fix question Thomas Wentworth General 5 January 22nd 06 10:55 PM
Engine access [email protected] ASA 11 January 13th 06 12:48 AM
Winterizing Checklist Skipper General 27 November 10th 05 02:58 AM