woolgatherer

Default Cold molded canoe?

Any thoughts on cold molding a canoe? I am considering taking a strip canoe
plan, and cold molding from 2 layers of 1/8 cedar veneers. The veneers
would run diagonally from the keel to the gunwale. These would then be
enclosed in fibreglass cloth and resin, just as would be a strip built
canoe.
I like the look and have ready access to the materials.

Will the cedar bend sharply enough and will compound curves be a problem?
Varying the widths of the veneers should mitigate this, but I'm not sure.
Will the two layers give necessary strength and rigidity?

Also, what about the plug? Will it be more work than doing a complete strip
job to build the plug, then cover it with the veneers?

Any sage advice is appreciated.

steveJ

Here is a link to someone who is doing it.
These boats look very nice. Not exactly sure how they do it though.
http://www.floatingleafcanoes.co.uk/thecanoes.htm

woolgatherer wrote:
Any thoughts on cold molding a canoe? I am considering taking a strip canoe
plan, and cold molding from 2 layers of 1/8 cedar veneers. The veneers
would run diagonally from the keel to the gunwale. These would then be
enclosed in fibreglass cloth and resin, just as would be a strip built
canoe.
I like the look and have ready access to the materials.

Will the cedar bend sharply enough and will compound curves be a problem?
Varying the widths of the veneers should mitigate this, but I'm not sure.
Will the two layers give necessary strength and rigidity?

Also, what about the plug? Will it be more work than doing a complete strip
job to build the plug, then cover it with the veneers?

Any sage advice is appreciated.

Cold comfort Skip Gundlach Boat Building 13 October 28th 04 04:56 AM
Need books, articles, website to design a canoe (concrete) Pablo Boat Building 5 October 17th 03 12:33 AM
open canoe asdf Boat Building 8 September 6th 03 04:41 AM
sea nymph canoe HeatMan General 4 August 13th 03 02:21 PM
Double canoe wooden pontoon boat??? Old Nick Boat Building 1 July 5th 03 12:19 AM