Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Lloyd Sumpter

Default Cutting fibreglass

Hi,

Just removed the old engine in Far Cove and started rebuilding the stringers.
There's much more fibreglass than I expected: about 1/4" all round the wood. And
from what I've seen, the wood in in pretty good shape: just some localized rot
around where the lag bolts went it.

So...what's the Best Way to get the fg top off the stringers? I used an
angle-grinder, but there's now fg dust EVERYWHERE. Any hints on keeping the dust
mamageable? Run a vacuum cleaner while I'm cutting?

Also: I was thinking of just cutting around the sides, and if poly fg sticks
as poorly as everyone here says, I could just lift the top off, exposing the
wood underneath. No Way! The top is definitely stuck to the wood. So what's the
best way to get the top off: cut the sides in, or grind down from the top? It's
about 1/4" of fg and gelcoat, and the stringers are about 4" wide.

Lloyd Sumpter
"Far Cove" Catalina 36

Salt water and Fibreglass Boats Shakeel General 4 June 15th 04 07:26 PM
Painting fibreglass hull Dan General 0 October 21st 03 09:53 PM
Paint for Fibreglass? AJ MacLeod Boat Building 6 September 24th 03 02:54 PM
"Heart of Glass" history of fibreglass boatbuilding William R. Watt Boat Building 0 September 8th 03 12:33 AM
Fibreglass reapir Dave K Boat Building 1 July 21st 03 04:54 AM