matt colie

Default Cutting fibreglass

Lloyd,

You are in for a lot of fun - not.

That suggestion that you build a polysheet tent and cover everything
that you can't remove is good. Having a vacuum running can collect a
lot of the dust. If you can arrange to gring toward the sucker all the
better. There are large collectors available for machines - they can
help if you can fit it in the work area.

Next - Get earplugs, a full face respirator and a box of tyvek suits.
You will also need ducktape to attach the gloves so nothing leaks up
your arms.

If you cut the glass instead of grinding it, you can make more chips and
less dust. There are 4-1/2 circular saws available and Porter-Cable (at
least, maybe others) makes a 15 or so tooth blade that will saw glass
just fine. If you can cut both sides of the engine beds then you could
finish the cut through with a reciprocating saw.

If you cut the engine beds lower than may be needed, you can always
build them back up.

Glass on stingers and bed logs will help them rot because the glass
cover assures that the water can't get back out. Leave as much wood
open as you can.

Been there - Done That, bought the T-shirt - it's worn out

If I can be of assistance, I'm here a often.
You could also decode the secret @ddress.

Matt Colie - Been at this too long (see other sigs)

Lloyd Sumpter wrote:
Hi,

Just removed the old engine in Far Cove and started rebuilding the stringers.
There's much more fibreglass than I expected: about 1/4" all round the wood. And
from what I've seen, the wood in in pretty good shape: just some localized rot
around where the lag bolts went it.

So...what's the Best Way to get the fg top off the stringers? I used an
angle-grinder, but there's now fg dust EVERYWHERE. Any hints on keeping the dust
mamageable? Run a vacuum cleaner while I'm cutting?

Also: I was thinking of just cutting around the sides, and if poly fg sticks
as poorly as everyone here says, I could just lift the top off, exposing the
wood underneath. No Way! The top is definitely stuck to the wood. So what's the
best way to get the top off: cut the sides in, or grind down from the top? It's
about 1/4" of fg and gelcoat, and the stringers are about 4" wide.

Lloyd Sumpter
"Far Cove" Catalina 36