Lloyd Sumpter

Default Cutting fibreglass

The reason is that I didn't KNOW there was no rot until I took the top off. I've
done that now (2hrs prep, 10 mins work with the Trusty angle-grinder and a
hatchet), and have confirmed the stringers are fine. I think I'll drill some
(3/4"?) holes and punch in dowels coated in epoxy. I feel epoxy would crack if
1/4" lag bolts were screwed into it - better to use wood.

Then cover them back up with epoxy/glass and gelcoat.

Lloyd Sumpter
"Far Cove" Catalina 36

On Sat, 03 Jan 2004 17:11:40 +0000, MMC wrote:

If the rot is just around the lag bolt holes, why not cut them out with a hole
saw and fill with epoxy and filler instead of replacing the entire wooden
stringer?
Merlin

"Lloyd Sumpter" wrote in message
Hi,

Just removed the old engine in Far Cove and started rebuilding the

stringers.
There's much more fibreglass than I expected: about 1/4" all round the

wood. And
from what I've seen, the wood in in pretty good shape: just some localized

rot
around where the lag bolts went it.

So...what's the Best Way to get the fg top off the stringers? I used an
angle-grinder, but there's now fg dust EVERYWHERE. Any hints on keeping

the dust
mamageable? Run a vacuum cleaner while I'm cutting?

Also: I was thinking of just cutting around the sides, and if poly fg

sticks
as poorly as everyone here says, I could just lift the top off, exposing

the
wood underneath. No Way! The top is definitely stuck to the wood. So

what's the
best way to get the top off: cut the sides in, or grind down from the top?

It's
about 1/4" of fg and gelcoat, and the stringers are about 4" wide.

Lloyd Sumpter
"Far Cove" Catalina 36