Evan Gatehouse

Default Cutting fibreglass

"Lloyd Sumpter" wrote in message
Hi,

Just removed the old engine in Far Cove and started rebuilding the

stringers.
There's much more fibreglass than I expected: about 1/4" all round the

wood. And
from what I've seen, the wood in in pretty good shape: just some localized

rot
around where the lag bolts went it.

So...what's the Best Way to get the fg top off the stringers? I used an
angle-grinder, but there's now fg dust EVERYWHERE. Any hints on keeping

the dust
mamageable? Run a vacuum cleaner while I'm cutting?

An angle grinder is usually the best way, but with a thin cut off wheel to
cut the laminate, not grind it off.

Use a lot of plastic sheeting to make a tent inside the boat to at least
contain the dust in as small an area as possible. Take off the cushions and
close all locker doors anyway. I doubt running a vacuum while cutting will
make a difference.

--
Evan Gatehouse

you'll have to rewrite my email address to get to me
ceilydh AT 3web dot net
(fools the spammers)