AJ MacLeod

Default Paint for Fibreglass?

Hi All,

I have a not particularly fancy Fibreglass dinghy which is in desperate
need of painting. I'm not sure I can afford to pay £15/750ml of the stuff
that International or Blakes sell for yachts.

Is there a cheaper alternative? Obviously household emulsion would be
silly, but household gloss - would that stick?

Any pointers gratefully received,

B Walker

AJ MacLeod wrote:
Hi All,

I have a not particularly fancy Fibreglass dinghy which is in desperate
need of painting. I'm not sure I can afford to pay £15/750ml of the stuff
that International or Blakes sell for yachts.

Is there a cheaper alternative? Obviously household emulsion would be
silly, but household gloss - would that stick?

Any pointers gratefully received,

I painted a fiberglass dingy with Exterior acrylic latex...works pretty
good.

--
DoD# 2223, OFCC #3122
Meum scapha volitare plenum anguillae

Stephen Baker

B Walker says:

I painted a fiberglass dingy with Exterior acrylic latex...works pretty
good.

For those without a transAtlantic dictionary to hand, US "latex" = UK
"Emulsion"

HTH

Steve.
Ed Edelenbos

Another option to look into... pricewise between house paints (actually
at the higher end of the house paint price range) and marine paints...
epoxy paints for floors. Two part paints... I've started looking into
them but haven't gotten too far. Specifically they are made for
concrete floors but I bet with the right primer, it would be great for
boats.

Ed

AJ MacLeod wrote:
Thanks for all your replies; it looks like I'll maybe not have to bankrupt
myself after all! I appreciate that the expensive stuff will no doubt
last longer and look better, but I'm really more concerned with just
making the thing look passable at a reasonable cost.

Cheers,

AJ

Techie

Speaking of paint? what primer would you recommend for Steel hulls?

Paul Oman

Ed Edelenbos wrote:

Another option to look into... pricewise between house paints (actually
at the higher end of the house paint price range) and marine paints...
epoxy paints for floors. Two part paints... I've started looking into
them but haven't gotten too far. Specifically they are made for
concrete floors but I bet with the right primer, it would be great for
boats.

----

epoxy floor paints, or any floor paint, will not work well on vert surfaces.
They are designed for extreme self leveling...... That's the big difference
between floor and non floor paint. Note if you add about 2 quarts of fumed
silica to a floor paint you get something close to a non floor paint...

PAUL OMAN ----- Progressive Epoxy Polymers, Inc.
Frog Pond Hollow - 48 Wildwood Dr - Pittsfield NH 03263
603-435-7199 FAX 603-435-7182 VISA/MC/Discover
http://www.epoxyproducts.com
Boating site: http://www.epoxyproducts.com/marine.html

Ed Edelenbos

Almus Kenter wrote:

I used some of the two part epoxy garage floor paint. Worked great.
I didn't use any primer. I just cleaned with TSP, let it dry and then
painted (roller).

NOTE the 2 part floor paints are pretty expensive; I think it was
about 60.00/gallon. My understanding is that they chalk a bit with
time.

Great information... and appreciated.

Ed