steveb

Default Looking for free boat plans...

Jim Conlin lifted the trapdoor, peered around and
wrote:

I'm waiting for his thread "Looking for free epoxy". ;-)

In another ng, some time ago, there was a guy who popped in from time to
time asking for a "free boat"

Ya gotta laugh
Auerbach

Need Free Plans . . . Plus!

I've decided to quit my job and build a sailboat, and need a little help.

Does anyone know where I can find free plans? Please don't tell me to go to
the library, because reading all those books is a lot of work. As a matter
of fact, if you know a designer who will create a set of plans for precisely
the boat I want, for free, that would be quite nice.

I realize the plans are a small part of the total cost of the boat.
Therefore I would also like to know if you know of anyone who will donate
the materials I will need. I could cut down trees and find someone to mill
them for me, but that's even more work than going to the library, and I
really want a modern boat. If you have a really large supply of carbon fiber
that would be ideal, but I would settle for the right assortment of
fiberglass.

As others have pointed out in this newsgroup, you will also have to come up
with the engine, plumbing, electronics, lighting and other gear I need, plus
of course the masts (I'd really like two, thanks very much) and sails.
Dacron if that's the best you can do, but I really think I deserve Kevlar.

Now I realize that building a sailboat of a size adequate for my needs is a
major project, and of course I don't plan to do it alone. In fact I am much
better at organizing than at working with my hands, so for those of you who
really want to get lots of great practical experience with boatbuilding,
this is your chance.

If you can't spare the time to help, but can supply the boatyard space
(actually, I will require a heated, well-lighted work area) or have several
tons of lead for the keel, I'd be willing to accept that.

I plan to name her "Self Reliant." Launch date is set for April 1.

William R. Watt

"Auerbach" ) writes:

I plan to name her "Self Reliant." Launch date is set for April 1.

if you want to launch here on that date (any year) you'll have to extend
your request to include help with breaking the ice

I admire your initiative. For actual cruising guidance you might want to read
Ladd's "Three Years in a 12 Foot Boat" in which he describes mooching his
way through the Americas. He seems to have had quite a knack for living
off women.

homepage: www.ncf.ca/~ag384/top.htm
Auerbach

You mean there's ice on April Fool's Day?

"William R. Watt" wrote in message
"Auerbach" ) writes:

I plan to name her "Self Reliant." Launch date is set for April 1.

if you want to launch here on that date (any year) you'll have to extend
your request to include help with breaking the ice

I admire your initiative. For actual cruising guidance you might want to

read
Ladd's "Three Years in a 12 Foot Boat" in which he describes mooching his
way through the Americas. He seems to have had quite a knack for living
off women.

----
William R Watt National Capital FreeNet Ottawa's free community

network
homepage: www.ncf.ca/~ag384/top.htm

JAXAshby

He seems to have had quite a knack for living
off women.

It is easy. Just pick the "wounded bird" type woman.

Definitely not my style, but I have seen more than enough guys who were quite
willing to live that way. Surprising to me was that in some cases I might bump
into this one or that one only to find they had become "Born Agains" or were
now extremely hen-pecked husbands. Attoning for their perceived sins? Who
knows. In no case did I envy one for the woman he got.

Roger Gt

"JAXAshby" wrote in message
He seems to have had quite a knack for living
off women.

It is easy. Just pick the "wounded bird" type woman.

Definitely not my style, but I have seen more than enough guys who were

quite
willing to live that way. Surprising to me was that in some cases I might

bump
into this one or that one only to find they had become "Born Agains" or

were
now extremely hen-pecked husbands. Atoning for their perceived sins? Who
knows. In no case did I envy one for the woman he got.

"wounded bird" types are a millstone for any man!
You cannot help them, and they drag you down with them!