William R. Watt

Default Looking for free boat plans...

I think there are some boatbuilders riding high horses. I thought all
designers ripped off other people's designs. That's what boat designers
do. Can anyone name anyone who has designed a boat with no research or
study of other people's boats? There are even books that recommend copying
sail plans and things from exsiting boats because there are no analytical
methods. Right here in this newsgroup not so long ago several people wrote
that I could not possibly figure out how much sail a boat could carry
mathematically because there were too many variables. I was told to copy.
By a boat designer or builder, I don't know which.

Also there are lots of free boats. I believe Wooden Boat magazien has a
section at the back devoted to free boats. Its unfortunagte that there are
many neglected boats but that's the nature of boat ownership. One does
not buy a recreational boat for any practical reason. They are bought to
enhance one's self image and when they don't, or they require work,
people become disatisfied with them and they become neglected. Enough end up
changing hands for free. Some of which are donated to charity.

"Chris" ) writes:
"Jim Conlin" wrote in message
I'm waiting for his thread "Looking for free epoxy". ;-)

Or "Looking for builders to build my boat for free.."

homepage: www.ncf.ca/~ag384/top.htm