posted to rec.boats.building
GK

Default Bruce Roberts

I am considering to build a Bruce Roberts 370 D.
I have read some pro´s and contra´s concerning his design.
What is your opinion ?

concerning the prices: My very personal opinion is that
the cutting files for the 370 D (!) for about US$ 8 T are overpriced,
as well as to buy the precut steel for about US$ 30 T, only the steel
precut, not the complete steel caso.

I have an offer from a (professional) shipyard which offers me to build
the caso,
based on the 370 D study plans, for less.
What is your opinion about this ?
Is this possible from the technical point of view ?

Thanks,

Fred
posted to rec.boats.building
rhys

On Sat, 03 Dec 2005 20:12:21 +0100, GK wrote:

I am considering to build a Bruce Roberts 370 D.
I have read some pro´s and contra´s concerning his design.
What is your opinion ?

concerning the prices: My very personal opinion is that
the cutting files for the 370 D (!) for about US$ 8 T are overpriced,
as well as to buy the precut steel for about US$ 30 T, only the steel
precut, not the complete steel caso.

I have an offer from a (professional) shipyard which offers me to build
the caso,
based on the 370 D study plans, for less.
What is your opinion about this ?
Is this possible from the technical point of view ?

This might be heretical in a boat-building forum, but there are so
many thousands of Bruce Roberts boats out there, ranging from utter
crap to better than factory, that you could simply buy a hull and
finish it and save a lot of months, or you could gut a crap interior
on a good hull and do that.

Now, as to whether you consider Bruce Roberts's designs to be decent,
or capable of being executed in a seaworthy fashion, is another thing
entirely.

R.
posted to rec.boats.building
Steve Lusardi

Gk,
What you want to do is illegal. The design is not public property. Buying a
license to build is the honest correct method. If you are worried about the
cost of Bruce's plans, you shouldn't be building a boat, because you are
probably not prepared for the project cost. Please keep in mind the hull
cost is only 10% of the total.
Steve

"GK" wrote in message ...
I am considering to build a Bruce Roberts 370 D.
I have read some pro´s and contra´s concerning his design.
What is your opinion ?

concerning the prices: My very personal opinion is that
the cutting files for the 370 D (!) for about US$ 8 T are overpriced,
as well as to buy the precut steel for about US$ 30 T, only the steel
precut, not the complete steel caso.

I have an offer from a (professional) shipyard which offers me to build
the caso,
based on the 370 D study plans, for less.
What is your opinion about this ?
Is this possible from the technical point of view ?

Thanks,

Fred

posted to rec.boats.building
Keith

Really... all the hull creates is the hole in the water into which you
pour... well, you get it.

posted to rec.boats.building
Ed Edelenbos

"Keith" wrote in message
oups.com...
Really... all the hull creates is the hole in the water into which you
pour... well, you get it.

lol.

The best description ever...

It's like putting on your best suit, standing in the shower with cold water
running, tearing up $100 bills, and chanting, "ain't we havin' fun?".

Ed

posted to rec.boats.building
Nigel

"Steve Lusardi" wrote in message
Gk,
What you want to do is illegal. The design is not public property. Buying
a license to build is the honest correct method.

snip

I understand your point, but if a builder is building from a set or study
plans, they have to do so without any structual detail and is simply
building a boat that looks similiar. My piont really.... The OP wouldn't end
up with a Bruce Roberts, just a boat that looked similar, how diffent would
it need to be before the builder could claim it was his own design?

posted to rec.boats.building
Kevin Brooker

So, if I take the play, Romeo and Juliet, and change each name in the
script but nothing else I can claim it as my own?

On Sat, 03 Dec 2005 20:12:21 +0100, GK wrote:

I am considering to build a Bruce Roberts 370 D.
I have read some pro´s and contra´s concerning his design.
What is your opinion ?

concerning the prices: My very personal opinion is that
the cutting files for the 370 D (!) for about US$ 8 T are overpriced,
as well as to buy the precut steel for about US$ 30 T, only the steel
precut, not the complete steel caso.

I have an offer from a (professional) shipyard which offers me to build
the caso,
based on the 370 D study plans, for less.
What is your opinion about this ?
Is this possible from the technical point of view ?

Thanks,

Fred

posted to rec.boats.building
Terry Spragg

Nigel wrote:
"Steve Lusardi" wrote in message

Gk,
What you want to do is illegal. The design is not public property. Buying
a license to build is the honest correct method.

snip

I understand your point, but if a builder is building from a set or study
plans, they have to do so without any structual detail and is simply
building a boat that looks similiar. My piont really.... The OP wouldn't end
up with a Bruce Roberts, just a boat that looked similar, how diffent would
it need to be before the builder could claim it was his own design?

If you think it's ok to steal someone's work, then you are probably
too stupid to design the structural detail properly.

Criminals are, generally, deficient in their ability to reason,
somehow. With no respect for others as a result of faulty social
thinking, they demonstrate an inability to think correctly in other
areas.

This usually has to do with some shortcoming in the assemblage of
certain other of their sentient organs. The only true salvation for
these types is for them to realize their imperfection, and ask for
inspiration to mend their ways. The Golden rule is all the guidance
a reasonable person needs. Would you want your life's work stolen
and abused, modified and destroyed, capitalized for profit,
adulterated from a good design to one that kills, using your once
respected name?

The lines of a vessel are a compromise in engineering intended to
balance strength, efficiency, capacity, durability, and looks. The
equation is not a simple one.

Would you want to wear a cheap, stolen design knock off life jacket,
from inferior cheap materials using inferior cheap manufacture, to
save a few bucks while you top dance for the sharks? How would you
feel if it was your name stamped on such a Knakawf?

If you really want to design a decent boat yourself, you need to
take a bunch of courses in marine engineering.

You will have to pay for those courses too, purchasing the knowlege
for yourself from it's developers, unless you can reason it all out
properly yourself. Stealing a "look" which you will undoubtedly want
to sell as the original some day, sooner than later, if quality has
to do with it, is shameful, a sin and a crime.

Terry K

"Terry Spragg" wrote in message
Nigel wrote:
"Steve Lusardi" wrote in message

Gk,
What you want to do is illegal. The design is not public property. Buying
a license to build is the honest correct method.

snip

I understand your point, but if a builder is building from a set or study
plans, they have to do so without any structual detail and is simply
building a boat that looks similiar. My piont really.... The OP wouldn't
end up with a Bruce Roberts, just a boat that looked similar, how diffent
would it need to be before the builder could claim it was his own design?

If you think it's ok to steal someone's work, then you are probably too
stupid to design the structural detail properly.

Why do you asume I think it's ok to steal someones work, perhaps your to
stupid to read and comprehend

Criminals are, generally, deficient in their ability to reason, somehow.
With no respect for others as a result of faulty social thinking, they
demonstrate an inability to think correctly in other areas.

This usually has to do with some shortcoming in the assemblage of certain
other of their sentient organs. The only true salvation for these types is
for them to realize their imperfection, and ask for inspiration to mend
their ways. The Golden rule is all the guidance a reasonable person
needs.

that would be your golden rule I guess, would you like to share it ?

Would you want your life's work stolen and abused, modified and destroyed,
capitalized for profit, adulterated from a good design to one that kills,
using your once respected name?

nop

The lines of a vessel are a compromise in engineering intended to balance
strength, efficiency, capacity, durability, and looks. The equation is not
a simple one.

Would you want to wear a cheap, stolen design knock off life jacket, from
inferior cheap materials using inferior cheap manufacture, to save a few
bucks while you top dance for the sharks? How would you feel if it was
your name stamped on such a Knakawf?

If you really want to design a decent boat yourself, you need to take a
bunch of courses in marine engineering.

You will have to pay for those courses too, purchasing the knowlege for
yourself from it's developers, unless you can reason it all out properly
yourself. Stealing a "look" which you will undoubtedly want to sell as the
original some day,

did I say that ?...well never mind Terry, best not let the facts stand in
the way of a good rant ay..

sooner than later, if quality has to do with it, is shameful, a sin and a
crime.

Terry K

So just for the record....
how different does a design need to be before the builder can claim it as
their own design, but it if you prefer to reply to some other question you
feel better fits your intellect, feel free

posted to rec.boats.building
Dave Allyn

On Thu, 08 Dec 2005 07:54:58 -0500, Kevin Brooker
wrote:

So, if I take the play, Romeo and Juliet, and change each name in the
script but nothing else I can claim it as my own?

On Sat, 03 Dec 2005 20:12:21 +0100, GK wrote:

I am considering to build a Bruce Roberts 370 D.
I have read some pro´s and contra´s concerning his design.
What is your opinion ?

concerning the prices: My very personal opinion is that
the cutting files for the 370 D (!) for about US$ 8 T are overpriced,
as well as to buy the precut steel for about US$ 30 T, only the steel
precut, not the complete steel caso.

I have an offer from a (professional) shipyard which offers me to build
the caso,
based on the 370 D study plans, for less.
What is your opinion about this ?
Is this possible from the technical point of view ?

Thanks,

Fred

Here's the next situation:

I wanted to build a canoe. I looked around the internet, and came up
with a number of plans I liked, but didn't want to buy right then. I
ended up taking what I liked from a couple of differant ones, and
building what I wanted in Hulls.

Did I steal the sites ideas?

Next question: If I took the "look and feel" of one boat off a site,
and reproduced it in hulls, without study plans, only dimentions, and
eye-ball shape from a site, is that wrong?

I personally feel my design is MY design, even if inspired by several
other designs.

email: dave-afo at mchsi dot com

please respond in this NG so others
can share your wisdom as well!