Peggie Hall

Default Need some pump info

My dad--who's 88, btw--inherited from HIS dad some solid bronze
Oberdorfer gear driven pressure pumps...5 of 'em. My grandfather owned
a machine shop in West Palm Beach FL, and among other interesting work,
converted Ford automotive engines to marine engines...These are pumps
were used in that application...I THINK, from what I understood of my
Dad told me, to replace water pumps. These 5 are at least 50 years
old--maybe even considerably older, but were never used...no longer
shiny, and would almost certainly need to taken apart, cleaned and
relubricated...but otherwise in perfect condition.

Dad just dumped 'em in my lap and suggested I put 'em up for sale on
eBay...but I don't have a clue what they're worth--whether they still
have any value at all as working pumps (I DO know they wouldn't be of
much use in a sanitation system)...but surely the bronze itself has
value--not a clue what to ask as a minimum bid. I don't want to give
'em away, but I don't want to start out too high either.

If any of you know anything about bronze gear driven pressure pumps and
can help me out, I'd appreciate it! If you have questions, I'll have to
get the answers from my Dad, and will respond when I do. Post here or
email to me at peg(dot)hall(at)sbcglobal(dot)net (sheesh...the lengths
we have to go to thwart spammers!).

Thanks!

Peggie
----------
Peggie Hall
Other Sources of Aggravation and Odor"
http://www.seaworthy.com/html/get_ri...oat_odors.html

Dave Cannell

Peggie,

Are there any numbers on these pumps at all?

FWIW, the venerable Atomic 4 engine used a bronze gear pump initially. I
remember replacing the one on my A4 back in '6 or so.

I suspect with some model numbers someone would be able to tell you
something about these pumps.

Pirate_Dave
--
In article , Peggie Hall wrote:
[...]

Rufus

Do you mean the pump is driven by a gear off one of the engine shafts?
If so, that is a _very_ engine specific pump. Post a picture somewhere.
That would mean you really need to know what engines it fits.

Of do you mean the pump's fluid driving parts are solid gears, like the
oil pumps in most cars?

Rufus

Peggie Hall wrote:
[...]

Dave Cannell

Rufus,

The Oberdorfer in my boat was used for the water pump on a raw water
cooled Atomic 4. I think Peggie is talking about a similar type pump.

Dave
--

Peggie Hall wrote:
[...]

Peggie Hall

Do you mean the pump is driven by a gear off one of the engine shafts?

No...there are gears instead of impellers or diaphragms in the pump(s).

If so, that is a _very_ engine specific pump. Post a picture somewhere.
That would mean you really need to know what engines it fits.

According to my dad, these pumps are not engine-specific...they replaced
the water pumps that were common to automotive engies of that era.

I don't have the ability to post a photo, but I can attach one to an email.

Peggie
----------
Peggie Hall
Other Sources of Aggravation and Odor"
http://www.seaworthy.com/html/get_ri...oat_odors.html

Lew Hodgett

Peggie,

You have some standard jelly bean Oberdorfer gear pumps.

They have been around almost as long as dirt.

I use a couple of them coupled together with a chain drive as an epoxy
metering pump system.

If you need more info, contact me off list.

--
Lew

Visit: http://home.earthlink.net/~lewhodgett for Pictures

Peggie Hall