Dave Cannell

Default Need some pump info

Rufus,

The Oberdorfer in my boat was used for the water pump on a raw water
cooled Atomic 4. I think Peggie is talking about a similar type pump.

Dave
--
In article 5UQyb.385155$Tr4.1124188@attbi_s03, Rufus wrote:
Do you mean the pump is driven by a gear off one of the engine shafts?
If so, that is a _very_ engine specific pump. Post a picture somewhere.
That would mean you really need to know what engines it fits.

Of do you mean the pump's fluid driving parts are solid gears, like the
oil pumps in most cars?

Rufus

Peggie Hall wrote:
My dad--who's 88, btw--inherited from HIS dad some solid bronze
Oberdorfer gear driven pressure pumps...5 of 'em. My grandfather owned
a machine shop in West Palm Beach FL, and among other interesting work,
converted Ford automotive engines to marine engines...These are pumps
were used in that application...I THINK, from what I understood of my
Dad told me, to replace water pumps. These 5 are at least 50 years
old--maybe even considerably older, but were never used...no longer
shiny, and would almost certainly need to taken apart, cleaned and
relubricated...but otherwise in perfect condition.

Dad just dumped 'em in my lap and suggested I put 'em up for sale on
eBay...but I don't have a clue what they're worth--whether they still
have any value at all as working pumps (I DO know they wouldn't be of
much use in a sanitation system)...but surely the bronze itself has
value--not a clue what to ask as a minimum bid. I don't want to give
'em away, but I don't want to start out too high either.

If any of you know anything about bronze gear driven pressure pumps and
can help me out, I'd appreciate it! If you have questions, I'll have to
get the answers from my Dad, and will respond when I do. Post here or
email to me at peg(dot)hall(at)sbcglobal(dot)net (sheesh...the lengths
we have to go to thwart spammers!).

Thanks!

Peggie
Peggie Hall