bruce

Default Outboard pod designs

Does anyone know of any articles on the design of outboard pods?
That's what they call them in Australia. I replaced the rotted out
transom and removed the old outboard well. I fitted a much smaller
well and intend to mount a pod to the transom for the outboard. This
will give me an extra 500mm of floor space. I heard that the pod shape
is dependant on the hull type and design. Some pods extend right down
to the keel while others are set up so that when the boat is on the
plane the pod is clear of the water. What design do I need, good
question can you help.
Tuuk

Yes some transoms such as stringer drive hulls have no strength and only
basically hold the sides together. They still can be beefed up for a
bracket.
Check out this site

http://www.armstrongnautical.com/

"bruce" wrote in message
om...
Does anyone know of any articles on the design of outboard pods?
That's what they call them in Australia. I replaced the rotted out
transom and removed the old outboard well. I fitted a much smaller
well and intend to mount a pod to the transom for the outboard. This
will give me an extra 500mm of floor space. I heard that the pod shape
is dependant on the hull type and design. Some pods extend right down
to the keel while others are set up so that when the boat is on the
plane the pod is clear of the water. What design do I need, good
question can you help.

BruceM

The ones I see around here are right down and are a continuation of the
bottom of the boat. I quess if you consider (example) the weight of a 150 HP
moter being a further 20" out the back then you will need the extra
floatation (water displacement?) to counteract it. The last thing you need
is for your motor to be getting dunked while fishing on the pick?
A decent boat maker or designer could work out how much width you would
need. Once again most around here are around 60 to 70% of the width which
creates a nice area either side of the pod for echo sounders & water pickups
etc, for protection if launching off the beach.
I can't remember where but I have seen "bolt on" ones advertised.
Bit hard to advise when you give no boat specs. Planing hull? Length? HP?
etc?
BruceM

" Tuuk" wrote in message
Yes some transoms such as stringer drive hulls have no strength and only
basically hold the sides together. They still can be beefed up for a
bracket.
Check out this site

http://www.armstrongnautical.com/

om...