William R. Watt

Default steam bending plywood

William R. Watt ) writes:

I just remembered that transom is two layers of 1/5" lauan underlayment
laminated with plastic resin glue. Of course that's the same as bending
one layer of 1'5" underlayment. If you look closely at some of the photos

^^^^
and THAT should have been 1/5"

I also see your transom is not 22" wide but 22" high, and 26" wide. You
still can't have a 4" radius in a 26" wide transom.

homepage: www.ncf.ca/~ag384/top.htm
Kevin

To clarify... the template (to fit over the buck that I made) is 26"
wide at its widest point.... but this includes the radii + several
inches of material that goes back along the side before the scarfs to
join the transom and the sides. This maximum width is at is at the 12"
radius area..... at the bottom the template is substantially
narrower.... The area being covered is the surface of a conic section
and so the template looks like a piece of pie with the tip cut off at
a radius... let me see if I can do it in ascii art
_ _
_- -_
\ /
\ /
\ /
\n/ template

Kind of.... with the scarfs along the edges. The bottom will be
bending around the tight 4" radius and the top around the 12" radius.
Does this make more sense?

Kevin
Kevin

I want the transom to look something like this when completed.
http://www.montanaboatbuilders.com/skiff.htm

Jason Cajune (who builds the boats in the pictures) does masterful
work... and build the transoms by steam bending and torturing layers
of ply over a buck....

Kevin
Backyard Renegade

(Kevin) wrote in message . com...
I want the transom to look something like this when completed.
http://www.montanaboatbuilders.com/skiff.htm

Jason Cajune (who builds the boats in the pictures) does masterful
work... and build the transoms by steam bending and torturing layers
of ply over a buck....

Kevin

Ahhhh. I get it now, cool boat! Anyway, I still think you may need to
use multiple layers of 3mm. Even if you could bend the 9mm around the
bottom of the "cone" you would have to leave a lot of wood to get
ahold of, or use a lot of pressure which would mean making a pretty
good mold and press. Another way might be to use a couple of layers of
3mm with a layer of fiberglass inbetween and on each side. You would
not need to use thick glass, just want to make it a laminated core
type structure. If you are worried you could go with three layers of
3mm.
Scotty from SmallBoats.com

Steam box Eide Boat Building 7 November 18th 03 12:55 PM
Plywood & Fiberglass deck Adam Boat Building 4 September 27th 03 12:13 PM
Poplar plywood Jacques Mertens Boat Building 25 September 26th 03 07:11 PM
Plywood limits ? VG Boat Building 8 September 10th 03 07:55 PM
Steam bending basics?? steamer Boat Building 11 August 28th 03 04:29 PM