posted to rec.boats.building

Default disposable power tools

I know that boatbuilding subjects tools to much more wear than the
average homeowner gives his power tools but I now have:

Dead Craftsman sabre saw
Dead B&D sander
Dead B&D sabre saw
Dying B&D drill
Dying B&D cordless drill

I am sure I could get them replaced if not for free at least for
reduced price but it isnt really worth the effort as I am more limited
by time than money. Still, its a little annoying to suddenly have your
sander die in use. I know I could fix these tools if I wanted but its
just a matter of time and priority.

posted to rec.boats.building
Kevin Brooker

You might want to consider "industrial" grade tools (yes, B&D makes them
too). True, they cost more than "homeowner" grade but they die only
infrequently...

If you buy good contractor grade tools they will last a lot longer and
they can be fixed. DO NOTbuy brand name tools at the big discount
houses (Home Cheapo, Lows, etc) . Milwalkee, DeWalt, Makita, and other
name brands produce a grade of tool specifically for these places and
you can't get parts. The gears and bearings are not the usual parts in
the industrial grade tools. Most of these sub standard tools have the
model number as XXXHD for the Depot model. I found this out the hard
way when I went to get a few tool repaied after the gears blew out and
the motor started to buzz due to worn bearings.
posted to rec.boats.building
Roger Derby

You make a good case for the China grade stuff from Bargain Supply or Harbor
Freight. Ugly, noisy, but effective. Examples that I'm happy with are my
4" grinder -- $8 dollars, dies only when really abused (I leaned a piece of
newly welded, still hot, steel against the cord). Set of 18 volt cordless
devices -- $130, crude and hard to adjust, but compare to $400 for Ryobi.
(I have both in the 18 volt drill manifestation. The Ryobi is elegant and
its clutch works better. Both are quite effective in making holes and
driving screws. I don't keep adequate records, but it seems like the Ryobi
batteries failed faster.)

When I buy the brand name, I'm unhappy nearly as often. Dewalt put a bad
casting in my biscuit jointer and then refused to admit that such could
happen. It took many hours of filing and shimming before the slot was
parallel to the edge of the timber.

My Porter Cable saw has the blade on the left (my ill-informed choice) so I
have to wear a face mask to keep the chips out of my face.

Roger

http://home.earthlink.net/~derbyrm
"Kevin Brooker" wrote in message

You might want to consider "industrial" grade tools (yes, B&D makes them
too). True, they cost more than "homeowner" grade but they die only
infrequently...

If you buy good contractor grade tools they will last a lot longer and
they can be fixed. DO NOTbuy brand name tools at the big discount
houses (Home Cheapo, Lows, etc) . Milwalkee, DeWalt, Makita, and other
name brands produce a grade of tool specifically for these places and
you can't get parts. The gears and bearings are not the usual parts in
the industrial grade tools. Most of these sub standard tools have the
model number as XXXHD for the Depot model. I found this out the hard
way when I went to get a few tool repaied after the gears blew out and
the motor started to buzz due to worn bearings.

posted to rec.boats.building
P.C. Ford

On Thu, 17 Nov 2005 16:11:08 GMT, "dadiOH"

I know that boatbuilding subjects tools to much more wear than the
average homeowner gives his power tools but I now have:

Dead Craftsman sabre saw
Dead B&D sander
Dead B&D sabre saw
Dying B&D drill
Dying B&D cordless drill

I am sure I could get them replaced if not for free at least for
reduced price but it isnt really worth the effort as I am more limited
by time than money. Still, its a little annoying to suddenly have
your sander die in use. I know I could fix these tools if I wanted
but its just a matter of time and priority.

You might want to consider "industrial" grade tools (yes, B&D makes them
too). True, they cost more than "homeowner" grade but they die only
infrequently...

Industrial quality American tools are the answer.

Pick up a Milwaukee drill and a Makita in the other and note the
difference.

"They can take a f**king and keep on clucking."

posted to rec.boats.building
Glenn Ashmore

"Lew Hodgett" wrote
If you expect tools to survive, stay with brands like Bosch, Milwaukee,
Delta.

There is only one problem with good quality tools. You get attached to them
so you try to find space on the boat for them so you don't have to leave
them behind!

I just cannot for the life of me figure a way to fit my Powermatic 66
cabinet saw in the back stateroom!

--
Glenn Ashmore

there of) at: http://www.rutuonline.com

posted to rec.boats.building
Roger Derby

I was given a Milwaukee Sawzall, broken. It cost $65 dollars to repair with
most of the money going to Milwaukee for a couple of replacement parts. It
took several weeks and the on/off switch is still an iffy thing.

But if you're saying that Milwaukee builds bigger muscles by being heavier

wrote:

Industrial quality American tools are the answer.

Pick up a Milwaukee drill and a Makita in the other and note the
difference.

"They can take a f**king and keep on clucking."

posted to rec.boats.building
Jim Conlin

"Glenn Ashmore" wrote in message
SNIP
I just cannot for the life of me figure a way to fit my Powermatic 66
cabinet saw in the back stateroom!

--
Glenn Ashmore

Clearly, you've built the wring boat.
I'll take RUTU and let you start again.

I feel the same way about my Powermatic 66. It's the best tool in the shop.

posted to rec.boats.building
William R. Watt

TF Jones mentioned the lack of durability of hand held power drills in one
of his books. So I've bought 3 old ones at garage sales for $1-$3.
Unpainted aluminum casing, single speed, but they do the simple jobs and I
haven't wasted a lot of money on them.