0_Qed

Default plywood

Gone Angling wrote:
I have a few other questions. I'm building a simple boat (cajun flat bottom 10
feet) as a starter project.
The points of the bottom are plotted on a piece of plywood. What would i use to
make a smooth curve?
Do you use a hand held jig saw to cut it out?
I want to put a fancy deck on it. Would a hardwood veneer plywood be ok? I'm
not sure if it is rated for exterior use. Other material to use?
1/4 inch ply is that equivalent to 6mm. Is 5.2 mm luan too thin for sides and
deck.
Can i join plywood by a butt joint and a 1x 2 across the joint on the interior.
All my materials are to be bought from a home depot type store.

Looking for inexpensive ???
Scout around for Doug Fir "CD Plug & touch sand, Ext" ...
HD ?mite? have it ... a good contractor yard for sure ...
or ...
5/16 CD Ext ... usually 3 plys of 1/10" veneer , a good, balanced
construct.

Better yet
.. BC 5/16" or 3/8" Ext ... concrete form ... source = a specialty lbr
yard

Doug Fir is great sftwd 'veneer' ... "else" is far less so .

Plywood Butt joints dont 'cut' it for 'structures' that mite flex ...
even with a 'lap' piece .
marine plywood 'splices' are made with a scarf joint ... slope 1/12 min
,
lotsa heat/pressure & ext resin glue
Only 8' sheets available ??... build an 8' boat if you cant find 10'
sheets.

Go for a "3 ply" lamination construction ...
.. 3 plys of 1/8" or 1/10" veneer
avoid anything with a 3/16" thick 'core' ( ctr ply ) ...
avoid 'sanded' ... go for UN_sanded ... the strength is in the face/back
ply.

Dont splurge on hdwd 'cosmetic' plywood constructions ...
ie .. thin face veneer ...
go for a =thick= face & back veneer ...

Annular ring nails(cheap) work well for construction ...
"buggle" screws tend to 'work' & 'pull' the head out ...
Paint it, keep it on mostly the hard ...

Ed.

Opinion Sought - Plywood Hulls steveb Boat Building 24 October 17th 03 11:11 AM
Plywood & Fiberglass deck Adam Boat Building 4 September 27th 03 12:13 PM
Poplar plywood Jacques Mertens Boat Building 25 September 26th 03 07:11 PM
Plywood limits ? VG Boat Building 8 September 10th 03 07:55 PM
Lumpy plywood Graaeme Boat Building 10 August 6th 03 05:01 AM