Michael Porter

Default Windows for pilothouse

No probmel with automotive glass -- just compleete window units (RV or
trailer), which is what the original post was about.

Cheers,

Michael Porter

Rufus wrote:

I have a WS32 with custom dodger using 4 pieces of automotive glass the
PO installed in Australia in about '80. It all cleans up very nicely,
clear as can be. Not sure why it'd be any other way, but maybe I'm just
a luck fellow. g

Rufus

Michael Porter Naval Architect / Boatbuilder
mporter at mp-marine dot com
www.mp-marine.com
Adam

Thank you everybody for you help with windows issue.
After a lot of e-mails to rbb and direct to me, I decided to not go with
plastic and
automotive industry either.
Yesterday I went to marine windows manufacturer - Beclawat.
They are doing really professional job.
I was surprised how easy it is to bend 3" radius corners with heavy aluminum
extrusion.
Everything is easy if you have access to proper extrusion, even could be
welded nicely.
I was also surprised how expensive it is.
Heavy duty 1/2" tempered glass, fixed, anodized 24x30 approximately $500
Cdn.
Thanks once again for your help
Adam
"Jim Woodward" jameslwoodward at attbi dot com wrote in message
I think Michael was speaking of windows -- the whole installation, frame

and
all -- made for RVs (caravans in Brit-speak), buses, etc., which are to be
avoided. Fintry had caravan windows installed as part of her 1998 refit,
which we're replacing because they aren't strong enough.

On the other hand, for the most part, glass is glass, although for marine
use it should be either tempered or laminated -- in that sense, automotive
glass is just fine.

--
Jim Woodward
www.mvFintry.com

.
"Rufus" wrote in message
I have a WS32 with custom dodger using 4 pieces of automotive glass the
PO installed in Australia in about '80. It all cleans up very nicely,
clear as can be. Not sure why it'd be any other way, but maybe I'm just
a luck fellow. g

Rufus

Michael Porter wrote:

Cheap, maybe
Automobile windows don't last long in salt water, any more than home
windows do.

Michael Porter

Rufus wrote:

Might see if there are any "bolt-in" size automotive windows out

there.
Trucks and vans would be the likely donors. Getting it from vehicles
from the mid-late 90's would make it cheap and also it would likely

continue to be readily available for another 5 years or so.

Rufus

Michael Porter Naval Architect / Boatbuilder
mporter at mp-marine dot com
www.mp-marine.com

Jim Woodward

I might save you a buck or two, although I told you they weren't cheap.

The ABS rules for Fintry (tough boat, go anywhere, but not anytime) call for
0.4" tempered glass in forward main deck windows and 0.3" in side windows,
both 28"x36". That suggests that 1/2" glass is substantial overkill in your
24x30" windows, as smaller windows take thinner glass. I'd probably go with
3/8" tempered glass, if I were you. Or, do a little research and you might
find that you could go even thinner....

The ABS numbers come from my naval architect, Jerry Gilligan at Jack
Gilbert's office -- they design heavy workboats most of the time.

--
Jim Woodward
www.mvFintry.com

..

Rufus wrote:

Might see if there are any "bolt-in" size automotive windows out

there.
Trucks and vans would be the likely donors. Getting it from

vehicles
from the mid-late 90's would make it cheap and also it would likely

continue to be readily available for another 5 years or so.

Rufus

Michael Porter Naval Architect / Boatbuilder
mporter at mp-marine dot com
www.mp-marine.com

Keith

Interesting. Do they have an alternate spec. for safety glass? I always
wondered which was better, since tempered was stronger, but if it ever DID
break, it would be completely gone. Safety glass might break, but the
lamination would hopefully hold it in place rather than just crumble out of
the fixture.

Rufus wrote:

Might see if there are any "bolt-in" size automotive windows out

there.
Trucks and vans would be the likely donors. Getting it from

vehicles
from the mid-late 90's would make it cheap and also it would

likely
continue to be readily available for another 5 years or so.

Rufus

Michael Porter Naval Architect / Boatbuilder
mporter at mp-marine dot com
www.mp-marine.com

Adam

This particular manufacturer doesn't offer laminated glass, but other does.
The safety/laminated glass is more expensive, for 1/2" thickness it is 50%
more
(for glass not for entire window).
I do not have price for 1/2" but 3/8" tempered glass it is ~$40Cdn/sqft
Other manufacturers doesn't offer 1/2" and up in thickness or the extrusion
is
extremely heavy.
Specification for my application says minimum 3/8 and 1/2 is recommended.
As material my spec says Lexan - but I like to go with glass with the same
minimum thickness.
Adam

Rufus wrote:

Might see if there are any "bolt-in" size automotive windows

out
there.
Trucks and vans would be the likely donors. Getting it from

vehicles
from the mid-late 90's would make it cheap and also it would

likely
continue to be readily available for another 5 years or so.

Rufus

Michael Porter Naval Architect / Boatbuilder
mporter at mp-marine dot com
www.mp-marine.com

Jim Woodward

Lexan is a very different material from glass -- it is much more flexible,
so that the issue is more "will it pop out of the frame" than "is it strong
enough".

It also has long term UV issues. Generally my choice for plastic windows
would be acrylic (Plexiglas, etc.) rather than polycarbonate (Lexan, etc.).
While acrylic is less satisfactory if you're going to throw a brick at it --
it shatters more easily -- it flexes less and has considerably better UV
resistance. (On UV, I should add that if the polycarbonate has the right
coating that we're talking about the difference between 10-15 years life and
30-50 years life as between polycarbonate and acrylic.) Plastics also
scratch more easily than glass, polycarbonate more easily than acrylic. You
have to be very careful to use lots of water when you remove salt.

Tempered glass is, however, the best solution.

--
Jim Woodward
www.mvFintry.com

..

Rufus wrote:

Might see if there are any "bolt-in" size automotive windows

out
there.
Trucks and vans would be the likely donors. Getting it from
vehicles
from the mid-late 90's would make it cheap and also it would

likely
continue to be readily available for another 5 years or so.

Rufus

Michael Porter Naval Architect / Boatbuilder
mporter at mp-marine dot com
www.mp-marine.com

STUBBORN water spots on windows - HELP!!! cag General 7 May 20th 04 09:12 PM
Bedding windows Bryan B Boat Building 10 October 23rd 03 01:22 AM
Re-caulking C36 windows? Lloyd Sumpter Boat Building 2 August 31st 03 05:03 PM
Re-caulking C36 windows? Lloyd Sumpter General 5 August 29th 03 07:05 PM
need new windows for my pilothouse peter kaiser Boat Building 1 August 18th 03 04:30 PM