BoatBanter.com

-   -   Windows for pilothouse (https://www.boatbanter.com/boat-building/6249-windows-pilothouse.html)

Adam November 3rd 03 12:55 PM

Windows for pilothouse

I' working on my project 36" fiberglass Spray with pilothouse.
On incoming spring I'll be able to install ports and windows.
There is no problem to find and buy ports, but I've got difficulties to
Locate manufacturer of custom-made "heavy duty" off shore pilothouse
Windows.
Does anybody know who is making such as things?
(I prefer Canadian manufacturer, I'm located in Toronto area)
I also think about to use King Starboard plastic to fabricate the window
frames.
This is relatively easy material to work with.
My pilothouse wall is made from ¾" plywood covered by 3 layers of 20 WR.
Any suggestion?
Thanks in advance
Adam
(to replay directly replace "as" with "aszczurowski" in my e-mail address)

Ron White November 3rd 03 02:53 PM

Windows for pilothouse

I don't know if the starboard would be a good choice. It has all the good
qualities you mentioned but one that may not fit. Sealants don't adhere well
to it. If you were planning to rout out and bed the glass into the star
board then your windows may not be heavy duty. But if you meant to just make
trim strips that would be different. Another idea may be to buy some
aluminum frame stock and fab up some frames of have them done. Here are
people that offer such items. I built a windshield from American Marine
stock, but you will have to call them for a catalog.
http://www.americanmarine.com/
http://www.oceandynamics.com/
--
Ron White
My boatbuilding website is:

Michael Porter November 3rd 03 03:27 PM

Windows for pilothouse

two Canadian manufacturers (in addition to Beclawat):

http://www.diamondseaglaze.com/
http://www.bomon.com/

Bomon is lighter-duty but cheaper

also

http://www.freemanmarine.com/

they are in US, but heavier duty than any of the others (anything from
yachts to big-ship stuff).

Michael Porter

"Adam" wrote:

I' working on my project 36" fiberglass Spray with pilothouse.
On incoming spring I'll be able to install ports and windows.
There is no problem to find and buy ports, but I've got difficulties to
Locate manufacturer of custom-made "heavy duty" off shore pilothouse
Windows.
Does anybody know who is making such as things?
(I prefer Canadian manufacturer, I'm located in Toronto area)

Michael Porter Naval Architect / Boatbuilder
mporter at mp-marine dot com
www.mp-marine.com

Rufus November 3rd 03 09:38 PM

Windows for pilothouse

Might see if there are any "bolt-in" size automotive windows out there.
Trucks and vans would be the likely donors. Getting it from vehicles
from the mid-late 90's would make it cheap and also it would likely to
continue to be readily available for another 5 years or so.

Rufus

Michael Porter November 4th 03 02:24 PM

Windows for pilothouse

Cheap, maybe
Automobile windows don't last long in salt water, any more than home
windows do.

Michael Porter

Jim Woodward November 4th 03 08:16 PM

Windows for pilothouse

Here are four suppliers who will custom fab your windows.
www.beclawat.com (Ontario)
www.freemanmarine.com
www.pcmii.com
www.diamondseaglaze.com (BC)

None are cheap.

Trinity Marine (www.trinitymarine.co.uk) has a large supply of windows and
ports from scrapped ships. Very few are on their web site, but you can send
them a list. I don't know what sizes you're thinking of, but above around
18x24", they're worth discussing, as their prices are on the order of US$150
each. One of Fintry's sisters saved around US$8,000 on his deckhouse with
Trinity's windows and ports.

You could also do them yourself -- cut the windows from 1/2" acrylic and a
frame from 1/4" aluminum and simply bolt the window between the wood and the
aluminum. If you look at the fixed windows in Fintry's wheelhouse
(http://www.mvfintry.com/pix/wheelhousepan600high.jpg) you'll get an idea,
although they are actually frame/window/frame (outside frame bolted to
wheelhouse side and inside frame bolted to the outside frame).

I'm not sure I'd use Starboard. It's expensive and I'm not sure how strong
it is. 1/4" aluminum is relatively cheap, and can be worked easily with
ordinary woodworking tools, particularly if you use carbide bits and blades.
I'd probably make a jig and cut the frames with a router.

Jim Woodward
www.mvFintry.com

Rufus November 6th 03 05:22 AM

Windows for pilothouse

I have a WS32 with custom dodger using 4 pieces of automotive glass the
PO installed in Australia in about '80. It all cleans up very nicely,
clear as can be. Not sure why it'd be any other way, but maybe I'm just
a luck fellow. g

Rufus

Jim Woodward November 6th 03 02:10 PM

Windows for pilothouse

I think Michael was speaking of windows -- the whole installation, frame and
all -- made for RVs (caravans in Brit-speak), buses, etc., which are to be
avoided. Fintry had caravan windows installed as part of her 1998 refit,
which we're replacing because they aren't strong enough.

On the other hand, for the most part, glass is glass, although for marine
use it should be either tempered or laminated -- in that sense, automotive
glass is just fine.

--
Jim Woodward
www.mvFintry.com