Ytter

Default Making templates.................

Does anyone know where to find good instructions,how to make templates for
boat interior renovation?
THANKS,Ytter

Jim Woodward

I'm guessing you mean scribing a template off the hull so that the
outboard edge of a panel will with up against the hull.

There are drawings showing the process in Robert Steward's
Boatbuilding Manual, but maybe this will do:

Take a flat plank of suitable length and width to capture the length
and shape you need. Hold it up against the hull, vertical in the fore
and aft plane and perpendicular to the center line (that is, square to
the boat in two planes and tilted as required p&s). Set dividers or a
compass (good quality that are big enough for the job and won't move
while you're doing it) to a convenient width, hold them so the two
ends are level and run down the hull while scratching or drawing a
line on the plank. The line matches the hull shape at that point.

Variation:
-- The plank on which you scribe can be the actual material of the
bulkhead or scrap or you can use heavy cardboard, but it's a little
harder to keep cardboard straight and flat.
-- You don't have to hold the dividers level, and angle will do as
long as it's constant -- level is usually easiest.
-- You can use a block of wood instead of the dividers. Hold a pencil
at one end just peeking out past the block.
-- It doesn't need to be perfect. If you're glassing in a new
bulkhead, you're going to put a foam strip between the end of the
bulkhead and the hull to prevent a hard spot in the structure, then
glass to both sides which distributes the load.

For more complicated shapes there's another technique, but I'm not
sure I'm up to describing that without pictures.

Jim Woodward
www.mvFintry.com

"Ytter" wrote in message ...
Does anyone know where to find good instructions,how to make templates for
boat interior renovation?
THANKS,Ytter

Ytter

Hi Jim !
Thank You Very much for your instructions,I'll try to follow it today and
let You know how I did it.
Best Regards,Ytter
om...

"Ytter" wrote in message

Does anyone know where to find good instructions,how to make templates

for
boat interior renovation?
THANKS,Ytter

Terry Spragg

Ytter wrote:

Does anyone know where to find good instructions,how to make templates for
boat interior renovation?
THANKS,Ytter

Use a piece of scrap underlay or light plywood and a bunch of
pointy sticks, which you screw into place on the scrap, while
pressed against the salient interior confines to take
measurements. Number and mark their location carefully until all
dimensions are captured, then unfasten the sticks so you can get
the disassembled template out of the interior, then put them back
together where you had them marked and screwed. Trace from the
endpoints of each stick to recreate the shape you measured inside
the boat. You can mark the chamfer or bevel of the join on each
stick, after measuring it with a gague at each point of
measurement after screwing it to the scrap.

Sonds like a pain, but it's the easiest way to get a full size
template of an odd shaped partition or bulkead inside the boat.

You may need to make bulkheads in sections if you hope to get
them back inside the boat, assembling them in situ.

--
Terry K - My email address is MY PROPERTY, and is protected by
copyright legislation. Permission to reproduce it is

Rick

Ytter wrote:

Buy or scrounge a bunch of cheap "doorskin" and a hot glue gun. Cut
doorskin into strips, use scissors to cut doorskin to fit the odd shapes
and spaces, glue strips together in place and you have a perfect template.

Rick

Stephen Yoder

On Fri, 31 Oct 2003 8:16:53 -0800, Terry Spragg wrote
(in message ):

Ytter wrote:

Does anyone know where to find good instructions,how to make templates for
boat interior renovation?
THANKS,Ytter

Get a copy of Bruce Bingham's "Sailor's Sketchbook". Read his explanation on
using a "tick stick". It's illustrated (obviously, since it's Bruce Bingham)
and very easily understood. No glue. Just a board a pencil and a stick.

garry crothers

"Rick" wrote in message
ink.net...
Ytter wrote:

Buy or scrounge a bunch of cheap "doorskin" and a hot glue gun. Cut
doorskin into strips, use scissors to cut doorskin to fit the odd shapes
and spaces, glue strips together in place and you have a perfect template.

Rick

Thats the method I saw used at the Govan shipyards in Glasgow, many years
ago.
They would use that thin wood, that you used to see orange boxes made off.
The strips were nailed together rather than hot glue, and braces were used
to support the bigger templates.
It was some sight to see two big Glaswegian shipyard workers manoeuvering a
flimsy 15 -20 ft long template down a gangway on their way to the cutting
shop.

regards
garry

Rick

garry crothers wrote:

Thats the method I saw used at the Govan shipyards in Glasgow, many years
ago.

It works a charm ... the beauty is that you can use scissors to trim
small pieces to fit perfectly, glue them exactly in place and, like you
said, brace the larger sections for dimensional stability and still be
able to bend them a bit to get in and out of tricky areas.

I like it because you can work small sections at a time and still create
a large but perfect template.

Rick

Glenn Ashmore

Nobody mentioned the tick stick method. I used a stick about 24" long,
beveled to a point on one end with a notch at 12" and another at the far
end. Clamp a fair size piece of scrap 1/4" plywood in position of the
bulkhead or cabinet piece you want to pattern. Hold the stick against
the plywood and place the point of the stick against the hull. Draw a
line along the edge of the stick between the two notches. Repeat every
2" or 3" around the hull and at the corners of each projection
(stringers etc.) It does not matter about the stick orientation as long
as both notches are on the plywood.

Take the stick and plywood to your cutting table and lay the plywood
over your stock. Line up the the stick with each line and notch marks
and mark the stock at the pointed end. Connect the dots and you have a
perfect cut line.

You can use the plywood over and over by using different color pencils.
When it gets to cluttered with to many marks, paint it with some cheap
white latex and start fresh. I patterned almost my entire inside with
one stick and two pieces of plywood. One 30"x60" and the other 36"
square. Eventually had to start chopping the corners off of the sheets
to get closer to the hull in some spots but a couple of 4x8 sheets of
cheap plywood will give you plenty of material for several marking sheets.

there of) at: http://www.rutuonline.com