Brian Nystrom

Default cheap vacuum bagging

Glenn Ashmore wrote:

The problem is lubrication. Refrigerators circulate oil with the
refrigerant to keep the compressor lubricated. When you use it as a
vacuum pump there is no oil. You can extend the life a little by
squirting a little WD40 in the intake before each session but that is
of limited value when the compressor runs 4 or 5 hours at a time.

If you're using WD-40 as a lubricant, that's a major part of the
problem. WD-40 is a good water-displacer, but its performance as a
lubricant is abysmal. From perusing the sites for DIY vacuum systems, it
appears that the preferred lubricant for refrigeration pumps is ATF
(automatic transmission fluid). All things considered, $50 or so for a
Gast vacuum pump on Ebay seems like a better way to go.

--
Regards

Brian

jcassara

Check out Harbor Freight. They sell a vacuum pump driven off
an air compressor for about $10. It is probably listed on
the web site as an automotive A/C part. I was in one of
their stores, it is packaged as an A/C evacuation pump.

John

"William R. Watt" wrote in
message ...
William R. Watt ) writes:

claims he got 25 psi vacuum for his

right. change "psi" to "lb".

--------------------
William R Watt National Capital FreeNet Ottawa's

free community network
homepage: www.ncf.ca/~ag384/top.htm
warning: non-freenet email must have "notspam" in subject

or it's returned

Glenn Ashmore

Those will work on a small bag for a few short sessions but they are
hard on a small air compressor when you need to hold a vacuum for
several hours. You would need to add a resin trap, tank, check valve,
solenoid and vacuum switch to save the compressor.

William R. Watt ) writes:

claims he got 25 psi vacuum for his

right. change "psi" to "lb".

--------------------

William R Watt National Capital FreeNet Ottawa's

free community network

homepage: www.ncf.ca/~ag384/top.htm
warning: non-freenet email must have "notspam" in subject

or it's returned

--
Glenn Ashmore

there of) at: http://www.rutuonline.com

William R. Watt

"Matt/Meribeth Pedersen" ) writes:
"Glenn Ashmore" wrote in message

Oh, NO! Not another measure! We have enough already! ;-)

Yes, but how many barnyard atmospheres would that be?

(both are recognized as official measurements)

the barnyard atmosphere on my grandfather's farm was usually pretty high
due to a combination of barnyard manure and barnyard language
homepage: www.ncf.ca/~ag384/top.htm
Ed Askew

I just use 2 shop vacuums. Actually, one is a vacuum cleaner for
cleaning out pellet stoves. I've done small things with just one
regular shop vac I bought at Wal-Mart. The thing is to get a good
seal from your bag. You need lots of duct tape.

Ed.

(William R. Watt) wrote in message ...
There is a website describing how to use a discarded 'fridge compressor
for vacuum bagging. The fellow who tried it used a vaccum gauge from an
automobile in his configuration and claims he got 25 psi vacuum for his
project. He just used standard plumbing fittings to connect the vacuum bag.

I do not have the website address. I was browsing on a computer at the
public library at the time and did not write it down. However you can
find it by going to
www.boat-links.com, clicking on "The Mother of All
Boat Links", clicking on the first box "amateur boatbuildign and repair"
and scrolling down untill you find the link about vacuum bagging.

Nowadays all discarded 'fridges go to a recyling depot where they "vacuum
bag" the freon gas to protect the ozone layer of the atmosphere. It should
be easy to get a compressor by telephoning the miniciapl garbage
department. Since compressors do wear out it would be a good idea to look
for ones off later model 'fridges (the date of manufacure should be on a
label on the 'fridge) bring home 2 or 3 to try.

Jim Conlin

The motors of most shop vacuums are cooled by the air that flows through the vacuum parts. If there's no
flow of air through the hose, there's none through the motor and the motors burn out quickly. A very few
shop vacuums (Fein and ?) have 'bypass' fans which cool the motor even if there's no flow through the hose.

Ed Askew wrote:

[...]

James Johnson

On Mon, 20 Oct 2003 07:57:08 -0400, Glenn Ashmore
wrote:

If you can find an old, and I mean REALLY old, compressor with single
intake and output ports and maybe cooling fins it will last an
acceptable time but anything built after they changed from latches to
magnetic sealing strips will crap out very quickly.

William R. Watt wrote:

Maybe he means 25 inches of vacuum, now is it inches of water or mercury (big
difference between the two)? Since atmospheric pressure at sea level is 14.7
psi there is know way he is pulling 25 psi vacuum unless he has it in a tank
pressurized to 10 psi above atmospheric.

JJ

[...]

remove the "dot" from after sail in email address to reply
Ed Askew

I've done it several times, and so have a lot of other guys. Mine
don't overheat. They're not even all that warm. I worried about that
the first couple of times I did it. (I've used 2 different vacuum
cleaners.) I've never heard of anyone's overheating while vacuum
bagging. There's quite of bit of air moving out of the vacuum cleaner
exhaust while they're on. I leave them on about 6 hours. Some guys
leave them on all night. How are people vacuum bagging without using
vacuum cleaners?

Ed.

Ed Askew wrote:

[...]

William R. Watt

James Johnson ) writes:

Maybe he means 25 inches of vacuum, now is it inches of water or mercury (big
difference between the two)? Since atmospheric pressure at sea level is 14.7
psi there is know way he is pulling 25 psi vacuum unless he has it in a tank
pressurized to 10 psi above atmospheric.

yes, that would 25 inches of mercury. that is what is measured by the car
engine vacuum guage. if you car engine vacuum guage is 14.7 you have some
expensive engine work in your immediate future.

still the vacuum on the suction side of a vacuum pump is not limited by
atmospheric pressure, even when connected to a vacuum bag set up for resin
curing. all it means is the pump is creating a vacuum greater than
atmospheric pressure and could be run at a lower speed. imagine a vacuum
pump strong enough to suck the resin, hull, and all right into the pump.
can't do that at atmopheric prssure.

homepage: www.ncf.ca/~ag384/top.htm