Bob La Londe

Default Clark Craft - Bass Boat 16

AS many of you know I have been looking at many different boat designs for
my first boat project. I couldn't wait to complete project so I picked up a
Baker Twin Tunnel for fishing the local tournaments, but I still have the
bug to build a boat.

I want a smaller boat for really gett into the back waters. I purchased a
set of plans for the Bateau GV 17 as one option. Its got some pretty nice
layout options, but now I am thinking smaller. I know I could copy Fritz's
GV15 bass boat, but I am more curious about the Clark Craft.

http://tinyurl.com/q4by

Has anybody hear built this boat or know where I can find some pictures of
it from different angles. I really would like to see a profile of the hull
and transom. Maybe also a top view.

--
Bob La Londe
Yuma, Az

Brian D

For only 2' different, I'd go with the GV 17 if only because it is
stitch-n-tape. That Glen-L boat will take you at least 2, maybe 3, times as
long to build and will be a lot heavier. I bet the GV 17 only needs about 3
or 4 gallons of epoxy (mixed), so what are we talking here? $150? The
Glen-L boat may cost you less if you don't protect it with anything more
than paint (flames to /dev/null), but my (free) opinion is that the GV 17
would be a better build and a better boat. If you want smaller, look at the
Garvey 11 or the 12' Jon boat, the Garvey 13, the garvey 15, etc, at
http://www.bateau.com.

Brian

--
My boat project: http://www.advantagecomposites.com/tongass

"Bob La Londe" wrote in message
[...]

Jacques Mertens

It depends what your priorities are.
That Clark-Craft design is an old one but a good hull.
That plan is for plywood on frame, a method that requires more labor and
skills.
Ask Clark-Craft if they have some recent references for that boat.
Our designs, GV17 and GV15, are very wide, the Clark-Craft is narrower. If
what you want is a narrow beam, how about our flat bottom garveys like the
GF14? They go together very fast: they are probably 10 times faster to build
than the plywood on frame boat.
If the flat bottom is not acceptable, how about this: get the Clark-Craft
plans and adapt them to stitch and glue. The scantlings of the GV17 will
work and you have them.
The only problem is to develop the hull panels but there is some free
software out there. The Carlsson program is fine if you start with an
existing design for plywood.
PS: If you don't want to do the CAD work, I am certain that you will find
some volunteers at:
http://www.amateurboatbuilding.com/
--
Jacques
http://www.bateau.com

[...]

Bob La Londe

I am looking for a narrower boat. My 18' Skeeter at 8'6" is a tight fit and
even my 20' Baker at 7'6" has quite a fight getting through some of those
back channels when the cat tails and tulies are layed down over the channel.
The 200HP Mariner helps force the boat over/thru the layed down weeds, but I
think I would do better with a narrower boat.

I think it would really benefit me in some tournaments to get into areas
where most guys are afraid to take their boats.

I definitely have considered cutting down the GV17 plans I already have.
Its still pretty wide though.

And of course there is still the obvious.... I WANT TO BUILD MY OWN....

I have priced it out, and in the smaller boats I can buy one new for the
same price (or less) as building one. I just want the satisfaction of
building it myself.

--
Bob La Londe
Yuma, Az
http://www.YumaBassMan.com
ADD YOUR WEB LINK TO THE LINK INDEX ON MY SITE

"Jacques Mertens" wrote in message
.. .
[...]

Backyard Renegade

"Bob La Londe" wrote in message ...
I am looking for a narrower boat. My 18' Skeeter at 8'6" is a tight fit and
even my 20' Baker at 7'6" has quite a fight getting through some of those
back channels when the cat tails and tulies are layed down over the channel.
The 200HP Mariner helps force the boat over/thru the layed down weeds, but I
think I would do better with a narrower boat.

I think it would really benefit me in some tournaments to get into areas
where most guys are afraid to take their boats.

I definitely have considered cutting down the GV17 plans I already have.
Its still pretty wide though.

And of course there is still the obvious.... I WANT TO BUILD MY OWN....

I have priced it out, and in the smaller boats I can buy one new for the
same price (or less) as building one. I just want the satisfaction of
building it myself.

Sooo, design it yourself! You know what you want in a boat so draw it
out and have at it. Get a plan from Jaques, or Glenn-L or someone for
a similar boat so you can determine a materials list and general
construction methods and when you are done, send the drawings off to a
designer and have him look them over and help you finish them off.
That is what I just did. I have been drawing my boat for about a year
(it is a more complicated vessel than your fishing skimmer) and I have
just sent the drawings off to a professional for "completion" as it
were. I found it to be much more affordable than I would have thought,
I am quite happy I took this route. It is a larger boat than I am used
to building, I want to build it only once.
Scotty

[...]

Jacques Mertens

That's not a bad idea.
If you want to cut a slice through the middle of the GV17, we'll do that for
you.

--
Jacques
http://www.bateau.com

"Backyard Renegade" wrote in message
om...
[...]

Fred Williams

I like the looks and shallow draft of the "Flats" boats, myself. The GV17
don't look near as "pretty" at speed.

If I were going "off shore" I would certainly want the GV17 (make that a
GV28 :-), for slipping into the backwaters and tight coves I'd take one of
the Flats boats.

"Jacques Mertens" wrote in message
. ..
[...]

OT Hanoi John Kerry Christopher Robin General 34 March 29th 04 01:13 PM
OT--new candidate NOYB General 114 September 19th 03 07:26 PM
Repost from Merc group Clams Canino General 0 August 29th 03 12:43 PM