Skip Gundlach

Default ReVolting question

Here's hoping someone in these groups has already done this...

I know that the typical computer power is 12v to most drives - but much less
to other components.

I'm thinking about a flatscreen monitor and a desktop for onboard
computing/DVD watching, vs a laptop, but wouldn't do it if I had to do the
inverter route.

Anyone modified flatscreen and desktops to take 12V - and actually get
*that* much vs full charged voltage?

Thanks.

L8R

Skip

Rufus

www.pcpowercooling.com

A couple years ago, I believe, these guys planned on selling a 12volt
power supply for use in desktops. Might drop them a line...

Rufus

Skip Gundlach wrote:

Here's hoping someone in these groups has already done this...

I know that the typical computer power is 12v to most drives - but much less
to other components.

I'm thinking about a flatscreen monitor and a desktop for onboard
computing/DVD watching, vs a laptop, but wouldn't do it if I had to do the
inverter route.

Anyone modified flatscreen and desktops to take 12V - and actually get
*that* much vs full charged voltage?

Thanks.

L8R

Skip

Doug Dotson

I have found it is just not worth the headache. Use an inverter and
power the 120V components. Inverters are very efficient these days
and cheap.

Doug

"Skip Gundlach" wrote in message
link.net...
Here's hoping someone in these groups has already done this...

I know that the typical computer power is 12v to most drives - but much

less
to other components.

I'm thinking about a flatscreen monitor and a desktop for onboard
computing/DVD watching, vs a laptop, but wouldn't do it if I had to do the
inverter route.

Anyone modified flatscreen and desktops to take 12V - and actually get
*that* much vs full charged voltage?

Thanks.

L8R

Skip

Glenn Ashmore

Many LCD displays run on 12VDC already (at least Viewsonics do) and you
can get a super small format P4 ITX computer with a 12VDC power supply
for about $1200. The problem is they may not be able to handle the
13,8V+ that your alternator is going to feed to your batteries. I know
most of the ITX supplies need +-5% of 12V or about 12.6V max. My son
mounted the ITX machine that I built him in his Acura and it seems to be
surviving pretty well but I would not want to have it tied it to my 250
amp alternator when the Maxcharge really starts cranking out he amps at
14V.

You have two basic options, either stick with 120V and buy a good 300
watt inverter or buy a 12V-12V converter to stabalize the voltage.
Either way you are adding $120 or so.

There are also high end stand alone DC-DC converters that you can wire
up a completely separate stabalized ciorcuit with to drive all the
sensitive electronics. mastervolt makes one that will handle 240 watts
but you are getting into some serious bucks. These were originally
intended for marine use to protect sensitive electronics and halogen
navigation lights from overvoltage

There are also a lot of aftermarket DC-DC power supplies for standard
ATX computers that can handle 8 to 30VDC input but they only go to about
170 watts at 12V nominal input. All in the $175 range but you still have
to worry about frying the display unless you can tap off teh 12V+ line
of the PC's power supply.

Personally I have decided to stick with the inverter solution until the
P4 mini format machines drop below a grand.

--
Glenn Ashmore

there of) at: http://www.rutuonline.com

Steve Lusardi

It is hard to beat a laptop in this application, but if you insist on a
desktop, you might consider modifying a UPS to use ships batteries as it
also solves other requirements for low power consumption like TV and stereo
and they are very efficient.
Steve

"Skip Gundlach" wrote in message
link.net...
Here's hoping someone in these groups has already done this...

I know that the typical computer power is 12v to most drives - but much

less
to other components.

I'm thinking about a flatscreen monitor and a desktop for onboard
computing/DVD watching, vs a laptop, but wouldn't do it if I had to do the
inverter route.

Anyone modified flatscreen and desktops to take 12V - and actually get
*that* much vs full charged voltage?

Thanks.

L8R

Skip

Jacques Mertens

I like the inverter because it acts like a buffer between the boats DC
system and the computer. Sort of a surge suppressor.

--
Jacques
http://www.bateau.com

"Steve Lusardi" wrote in message
[...]

Bryan B

We are thinking the same thoughts. Drive a flat screen from a laptop with
both powered by an inverter. It would be nice to have a 19 or 21 inch
screen mounted on the bulkhead for navigation duties and watching a movie.
The laptop could be in a dry secure location and then use a mouse working
the system.

Inverters are inexpensive today.

"Jacques Mertens" wrote in message
[...]

G.rivera

There are flat screen LCD's which already use 12 vdc - just look around I
plan to use one directly to house power - as far as tower vs laptop - still
think laptop (for size) is the best bet - a little more $$$ however easier
to transport smaller foot print more adaptable to 12 vdc and sometimes more
powerful than tower - also less energy - had both tower and laptop on last 3
yr trip and only used tower in marinas
"Skip Gundlach" wrote in message
link.net...
Here's hoping someone in these groups has already done this...

I know that the typical computer power is 12v to most drives - but much

less
to other components.

I'm thinking about a flatscreen monitor and a desktop for onboard
computing/DVD watching, vs a laptop, but wouldn't do it if I had to do the
inverter route.

Anyone modified flatscreen and desktops to take 12V - and actually get
*that* much vs full charged voltage?

Thanks.

L8R

Skip

johnh

12v powered LCD are very common, but do you know of one that will run off of
the 11 to 14.8 that comes off of a house bank when low or when charging?
Let me know how it works out.

"G.rivera" wrote in message
t...
[...]

Tom Watson

You might look to the in car video units that have blossomed on the
market in the past few years... not sure about the connection to your
though, and some are pretty small. But they are designed for a 12 v
vehicle and all the variation that entails.
Tom
-----snip-----

johnh wrote:
12v powered LCD are very common, but do you know of one that will run off of
the 11 to 14.8 that comes off of a house bank when low or when charging?
Let me know how it works out.

"G.rivera" wrote in message
t...

There are flat screen LCD's which already use 12 vdc - just look around I
plan to use one directly to house power - as far as tower vs laptop -

still

think laptop (for size) is the best bet - a little more $$$ however easier
to transport smaller foot print more adaptable to 12 vdc and sometimes

more

powerful than tower - also less energy - had both tower and laptop on last

3

yr trip and only used tower in marinas
thlink.net...