WCD

Default Sawhorse recommendations

I'm looking for recommendations for supports, like sawhorses, to support
boats in my shop while I work on them. Something of wood I can make
myself. Right now I'm looking at a 16' Lyman, to give you an idea of size.

Any web sites that could give me a clue?

I found a site with sawhorses for working on canoes and kayaks, but I'm
looking for something more substantial.

Thanks for any advice.

WCD

Brian D wrote:

I've got a good design, one that comes recommended by a professional (Renn
Tolman of Tolman Skiffs) that's proven through experience. If you want his
design exactly, I'd recommend buying his book on building the Tolman Skiff.

Sounds good, I'll check it out.

Ignore the guy who made light of your shop skills...

Yeah, I know. He doesn't even know me. Maybe I prefer to research
something a bit instead of just flailing around trying to reinvent the
wheel. I've been in a lot of boat shops and I've seen a hundred
variations on these things. I'm sure there are guys (or gals) who have
drawn them up for others to benefit from their effort.

(Besides, I'm stuck in my office at this moment and the closest I can
get to working in my shop is cruisin' the web.)

sawhorses are one of those things that are sometimes horrible
and don't last, and others work great and last forever, but they all _look_
about the same. Just the way it is. The other guy probably hasn't built
and tried very many different types.

The guys at Chesapeake Light Craft have a design on their site that
looks very useful for small boats. I have a few of those as well.

http://www.clcboats.com/shoptips/sho...feb12eb3a81e6/

Thanks.

William R. Watt

You can make pretty versatile sawhorses out of plywood which come apart
for easy storage. Basically you cut triangluar pieces for each of the legs
a rectangular piece for the beam and attach extra pieces to the beam to
provide slots for the legs to slide into. You can custom shape the top of
the beam to cradle a boat or whatever. I haven't seen a formula for load
bearing strength.

homepage: www.ncf.ca/~ag384/top.htm