James

Default Steam bending basics??

"fraggy" wrote in message
hi
my boatyard puts the wood in a long bag made from sail cover material and
inserts the steam cleaner lance and just leaves it on full blast for about

1
hour per inch

Pioneer was planked using what has been termed as "boil in the bag"
steaming.
http://www.pioneersailingtrust.org.uk/
Plank is wrapped in a sewn up tube of cheap tarp and steamed (about an hour
per inch) but the plank can be clamped to the boat
while steaming and eased into shape as & when the timber will.
Then left to cool before releasing the plank to remove the bag (which can
often be reused)
Makes good sense to me and must be lass prone to failiures than rushing to
fit the plank in the 5 mins it takes to cool when removed from a steambox.
I know a guy here in the uk who is about to try this on his 40ft smack
might take a tinnie or two and watch ))

Backyard Renegade

Gregg Germain wrote in message ...
James wrote:

: Pioneer was planked using what has been termed as "boil in the bag"
: steaming.
: http://www.pioneersailingtrust.org.uk/

Beautiful boat, James.

--- Gregg

http://home.attbi.com/~saville/backstaffhome.html

Restoration of my 82 year old Herreshoff S-Boat sailboat:

http://home.attbi.com/~saville/SBOATrestore.htm

Steambending FAQ with photos:

http://home.attbi.com/~saville/Steambend.htm

"Improvise, adapt, overcome."

Smithsonian Center for Astrophysics
Phone: (617) 496-1558

It is time to pass to another level, a coming of age. Beyond this door
you will find a life altering journey to the water. It will not be
easy, sacrifice and patience will be required.. still translating,
want a glass of grog. A friends grandma used to make it and although I
remember drinking it, I don't remember much after that!
Scotty

Steam Yacht Yarta Simon Marshall General 0 June 23rd 04 07:28 PM
Bending stabchions ? Sven General 8 December 11th 03 02:23 PM
Steam in exhaust Grampa Bob General 3 July 21st 03 01:25 PM