James

Default To many pumps!!!

So any significant damage to one area of the boat could wipe out all methods
of pumping any water overthe side or anywhere else?
Sure thats a great plan?

"Glenn Ashmore" wrote in message
Having searched for hours for nonfunctioning pumps on deliveries I
decided to put all my pumps on one centrally located platform under the
salon sole. There are two fresh water pumps, one salt water wash down
pump, one air conditioner cooling water pump, one fuel transfer pump,
one Jabsco Sea Gulp bilge pump and a grey water pump. Only the waste
pump, high pressure anchor sprayer and oil change pump are off the
platform.

Now I have to add a booster pump for the watermaker pump. Has anyone
ever used the washdown pump as a watermaker boost pump?

--
Glenn Ashmore

there of) at: http://www.rutuonline.com

Glenn Ashmore

Damage significant enough to wipe out the entire pump platform would
damage the hull so much that no pump could save the boat but I forgot to
mention a 2000gph Rule forward, a 3700gph aft and an Edson manual under
the cockpit.

Oh yea, and then there is the 5300 gph 110V submersible with 50' of 2"
discharge hose back in the lazerette for last ditch efforts.

Like I said, to d**ned many pumps!

James wrote:
[...]

Rick Tyler

On Fri, 08 Aug 2003 08:47:38 -0400, Glenn Ashmore
wrote:

Damage significant enough to wipe out the entire pump platform would
damage the hull so much that no pump could save the boat but I forgot to
mention a 2000gph Rule forward, a 3700gph aft and an Edson manual under
the cockpit.

Oh yea, and then there is the 5300 gph 110V submersible with 50' of 2"
discharge hose back in the lazerette for last ditch efforts.

Like I said, to d**ned many pumps!

Who was it that said there was no bilge pump quite as good as a scared
man with a bucket?

(You sure have a lot of pumps.)

- Rick

--
"Ignorant voracity -- a wingless vulture -- can soar only into the
depths of ignominy." Patrick O'Brian
Dave Skolnick

Glenn Ashmore wrote:
snip ... and a grey water pump. snip

Glenn --

Can't help with your question, but I have one of my own. I read your web
site, so I understand (I think) how you have your grey water pump
plumbed, but not why. Minimize the throughhulls? Something else?

dave

Glenn Ashmore

Dave Skolnick wrote:

Can't help with your question, but I have one of my own. I read your
web site, so I understand (I think) how you have your grey water pump
plumbed, but not why. Minimize the throughhulls? Something else?

Primarily to minimize through hulls and keep them out of the area
forward of the keel where the most slamming can occur. Also, the galley
arangement required that the sink be against the side where it may be
below the waterline at a large angle of heel. That meant a sump and
pump or religiously closing a throughhull every time. If the sump is
going to be there for the sink it is logical to plumb everything else to
it.

Oh! Yea again. There is one more small booster pump in the forward head
shower sump.

--
Glenn Ashmore

there of) at: http://www.rutuonline.com

DSK

Glenn Ashmore wrote:

... Has anyone
ever used the washdown pump as a watermaker boost pump?

Jim Woodward wrote:

As you certainly know, broadly there are two classes of pumps, high
pressure / low volume and low pressure / high volume.

I agree, although the distinction between positive displacement & nonPD is important for several
reasons.

Most booster pumps are non positive displacement so that they don't overpressurize the inlet
side of the main pump casing. They can also supply positive flow over a wider pressure range,
such as delivery to several subsystems.

Another nice thing about non positive dispalacement pumps is that they can have flow through
them when not running, and can readily be primed from either side.

The former is
good for water pressure, washdown and fire while the latter are used
for bilge and sump applications. The best example of this difference
is the Jabsco diaphragm pumps, where you can buy the same motor and
frame driving different belt pulleys and diaphragms -- a single spare
motor can back up both your freshwater and sump pumps....

Now I suspect the watermaker doesn't care much about pressure (there
are so many variations today that I can't say for sure) and might even
be upset if you had too much, but it does want a certain volume and
minimum air. So, offhand, I'd suggest the AC cooling water pump
rather than the washdown pump.

Agreed, with the caveat that the AC cooling pump might be alternating current whereas Glenn
might want to run his watermaker on 12V DC.

But, you have a better way to make the choice -- look at the specs on
the manufacturer recommended watermaker booster pump and then pick the
pump you have that is closest.

Too logical here. Aren't you even going to call anybody names?!?

Fresh Breezes- Doug King

Jim Woodward

Caught oversimplifying. Two demerits. Doug is right, of course,
although in my defense I will point out that the Air Con pump is
almost certainly centrifugal (and, hence, non-PD) while the washdown
could be either, so my suggestion is OK.

Of course, in your praise of non-PD pumps, you don't mention that they
are unholy nuisances, prone to lose their prime at the slightest
provocation -- I remember surfing in the Southern trades from the
Galapagos to the Marquesas, a lot of air under the boat and the reefer
going down every five minutes because its pump didn't like air.
Changing course to pamper a pump isn't my idea of ideal. Fortunately
the pump was happy to run dry, but I would have traded it for a
diaphragm pump of sufficent capacity in a second. (Or why Fintry has
pressurized seawater available in volume from any of three sea chests
-- I love the conservatism of the Royal Navy, but that's another
story).

Rutuonline doesn't tell us which supply he's running the watermaker
from, so you may be right there.

As for, "Too logical here. Aren't you even going to call anybody
names?!?", I am the voice of reason -- I don't ever call people names,
even when they're flaming something-or-others (which, let there be no
mistake, does not apply to Glenn or Doug).

Jim Woodward
www.mvfintry.com

Jim Woodward wrote:

[...]

Julian

Default Fintry's sea chests

"Jim Woodward" wrote in message m...
SNIP (Or why Fintry has
pressurized seawater available in volume from any of three sea chests
-- I love the conservatism of the Royal Navy, but that's another
story).

Jim,

I've been mulling over the merits of sea chests recently. Could you please
tell me a little more about Fintry's sea chests. In particular, where are the
openings in the hull, how large are the openings, and is there any clever
shaping to the hull openings to minimise drag and/or increase water flow
into them? I'm also interested to hear about any other aspects of the sea
chest arangement that you think might be of interest.

I think my design philosophy probably exhibits much of the "conservatism
of the Royal Navy" so I'd love to know in more detail what they did.

Thanks in advance,

Julian.