NLC

Default FYI for those working with fiberglass

funny noone told you about that before you got started. Before I
fiberglassed my hull, everyone, and I mean EVERYONE I talked to warned
me about how bad it was going to be from all the fibers itching and
such and about all the precausions I should take like duct tape around
gloves and pants legs and throw away all the clothes afterwards. I
didn't go that extreme and I found that the fibers wern't as big a
problem as they said.

"Phil" wrote in message .net...
After a day of working and grinding the deck of a project boat the one thing
I didn't think of was,,,,,,,,fiberglass getting all over me.
Well ,,,we learn from our mistakes right!
Some people say to take a pair of panty hose and rub it off,,,,,,doesn't
work,,LOL
I did learn that if you cover yourself with hair conditioner when you show
and then wash with soap most will be removed.
After the shower take a roll medical gauze and clean yourself it will remove
the rest of the glass.
Just thought this would be of use to some of the folks that helped me with
my project boat.

Phil Smith
Jax.Fl

AB

As a boatbuilder who does allot of fibreglass repairs, i find that a good
pair of overalls with masking tape or equivalent round sleeves and neck, a
good pair of riggers gloves or other thick and hard wearing work gloves and
a good face mask and hat works extremely well, but i still have a cold
shower at the end of the job just to get the rest of the glass dust off me.

om...

"Phil" wrote in message

.net...
After a day of working and grinding the deck of a project boat the one

thing
I didn't think of was,,,,,,,,fiberglass getting all over me.
Well ,,,we learn from our mistakes right!
Some people say to take a pair of panty hose and rub it off,,,,,,doesn't
work,,LOL
I did learn that if you cover yourself with hair conditioner when you

show
and then wash with soap most will be removed.
After the shower take a roll medical gauze and clean yourself it will

remove
the rest of the glass.
Just thought this would be of use to some of the folks that helped me

with
my project boat.

Phil Smith
Jax.Fl

Backyard Renegade

"Phil" wrote in message .net...
After a day of working and grinding the deck of a project boat the one thing
I didn't think of was,,,,,,,,fiberglass getting all over me.
Well ,,,we learn from our mistakes right!
Some people say to take a pair of panty hose and rub it off,,,,,,doesn't
work,,LOL
I did learn that if you cover yourself with hair conditioner when you show
and then wash with soap most will be removed.
After the shower take a roll medical gauze and clean yourself it will remove
the rest of the glass.
Just thought this would be of use to some of the folks that helped me with
my project boat.

Phil Smith
Jax.Fl

Only hackers use fiberglass...
malcolm

I spent part of summer 82 in a roof space crawling over fibreglass
insulation,
I was working for an OEM Alarm company and installing and fixing a Hospital
system,
wore a boiler suit and it was NASTY.
regards malcolm

"Phil" wrote in message
. net...
After a day of working and grinding the deck of a project boat the one

thing
I didn't think of was,,,,,,,,fiberglass getting all over me.
Well ,,,we learn from our mistakes right!
Some people say to take a pair of panty hose and rub it off,,,,,,doesn't
work,,LOL
I did learn that if you cover yourself with hair conditioner when you show
and then wash with soap most will be removed.
After the shower take a roll medical gauze and clean yourself it will

remove
the rest of the glass.
Just thought this would be of use to some of the folks that helped me with
my project boat.

Phil Smith
Jax.Fl

Scott Downey

How about the stuff going into your lungs?
Did you wear a dust mask?
I have found it preferable to wear long sleeves and gloves when grinding
fiberglass.

"Phil" wrote in message
. net...
After a day of working and grinding the deck of a project boat the one

thing
I didn't think of was,,,,,,,,fiberglass getting all over me.
Well ,,,we learn from our mistakes right!
Some people say to take a pair of panty hose and rub it off,,,,,,doesn't
work,,LOL
I did learn that if you cover yourself with hair conditioner when you show
and then wash with soap most will be removed.
After the shower take a roll medical gauze and clean yourself it will

remove
the rest of the glass.
Just thought this would be of use to some of the folks that helped me with
my project boat.

Phil Smith
Jax.Fl

Ron Thornton

Scotty,

Come on now. We know you use fiberglass to hold in all that floatation
foam.

Ron

Phil

I wear a face mask now,,,didn't at first,,,,thanks for the tip.
Phil
Jax.Fl

Backyard Renegade

"Phil" wrote in message news:7ByVa.11298$uu5.1196@sccrnsc04...
I wear a face mask now,,,didn't at first,,,,thanks for the tip.
Phil
Jax.Fl

I wear a hat and funny glasses... sometimes even a fake mustache!
Backyard Renegade

stevej wrote in message ...
Having once worked for Owens Corning on a fiberglas insulation packing
line, I can say with some assurance that there is no way to not get
itchy when working with the stuff. The only thing that worked for the
line workers was to wear short sleeves and take cold showers as already
mentioned. Some people are more prone to discomfort from this stuff than
others. I found that, I know it sounds crazy, that a couple of aspirins
reduced the itching sensation somewhat when I just couldn't stand it any
more.
We also took salt pills which made us sweat and that also seemed to
help. It was hot in that damn hell hole. Makes sanding a boat seem like
drinking a beer under a shady tree.
SteveJ

Phil wrote:
After a day of working and grinding the deck of a project boat the one thing
I didn't think of was,,,,,,,,fiberglass getting all over me.
Well ,,,we learn from our mistakes right!
Some people say to take a pair of panty hose and rub it off,,,,,,doesn't
work,,LOL
I did learn that if you cover yourself with hair conditioner when you show
and then wash with soap most will be removed.
After the shower take a roll medical gauze and clean yourself it will remove
the rest of the glass.
Just thought this would be of use to some of the folks that helped me with
my project boat.

Phil Smith
Jax.Fl

Well, a few weeks ago I was sanding a boat in my driveway... Because
of the light colored house and dark driveway the thermometer 3 feet
off the ground said 128 degrees.... Some beer...
Old Nick

On 28 Jul 2003 03:36:07 -0700, (NLC) wrote something

.......and in reply I say!:

Some people are far more sensitive to it than others. Maybe they're
just wooses G or maybe their skin pores are bigger or WHY.

I repaired a plastrerboard wall the other day. There is fibreglass
insulation in the wall. I was itching within a couple of minutes of
starting, just from the bit of dust that came off the glass as I
placed the new sheet etc.

I sit in a kayak that is resin-finished inside, and get itches on
knees, thighs etc in very short order.

Hate the stuff. In any form.

"Phil" wrote in message .net...
After a day of working and grinding the deck of a project boat the one thing
I didn't think of was,,,,,,,,fiberglass getting all over me.
Well ,,,we learn from our mistakes right!
Some people say to take a pair of panty hose and rub it off,,,,,,doesn't
work,,LOL
I did learn that if you cover yourself with hair conditioner when you show
and then wash with soap most will be removed.
After the shower take a roll medical gauze and clean yourself it will remove
the rest of the glass.
Just thought this would be of use to some of the folks that helped me with
my project boat.

Phil Smith
Jax.Fl

Huh! Old age!. You may hate it, but let me tell you, you can't get by for long without it!

Nick White --- HEAD:Hertz Music
Please remove ns from my header address to reply via email
!!
")
_/ )
( )