Ree-Yees

Default Speedometer not working

I have traded in the old '87 sea ray and got a new '04 VIP Viva. Everything
about it is great so far. When I demoed the boat the speedometer wasnt
going. The dealer said its because it was just not ever hooked up when they
prepped the boat for me to demo.

When we docked he showed me the cable in the back of the stern drive. It
was not plugged in, he said it comes from the factory like that. So he
plugged it in.

When I took it out later after purchasing the boat the speedo is still not
working. I unplugged the speedo cable when I got home and blew through the
sterndrive. Nothing seem to be obstructing it and nothing blew out.

Any ideas as to why its not working? Is there any way to set off hte speedo
out of the water to see if it works? I tried blowing into the tube going to
the speedo but it didnt do anything.

I know the dealer would fix it but they wont be open till monday, and then
its a hassle to go over there if its a 2 second fix!

Thanks!
--Cameron

Joe Blizzard

"Ree-Yees" wrote
I tried blowing into the tube going to
the speedo but it didnt do anything.

If it's like mine, blowing into the tube should give you an indication on
the dial. Is the tube connected to the back of the gauge?

Camilo

"Ree-Yees" wrote
the speedo is still not
working. I unplugged the speedo cable when I got home and blew through the
sterndrive. Nothing seem to be obstructing it and nothing blew out.

Any ideas as to why its not working? Is there any way to set off hte

speedo
out of the water to see if it works? I tried blowing into the tube going

the speedo but it didnt do anything.

Good thinking that you could avoid hassle of dealer visit and repair on this
one.

Speedo is a simple thing - a pickup on the outdrive or a separate "pitot"
tube or paddle wheel mounted to transom. The pickup or pitot tube has a
little opening into which water (pressure) goes when you're moving. Faster
you move, more water pressure.

I don't know if paddle wheels send pressure or an electric signal (never had
one).

The pickup is connected to the actual speedometer gauge by a hollow tube.
This tube transfers the pressure to the gauge. The gauge moves based on the
amount of pressure beign pushed into it via the tube.

Troubleshooting:

make sure tube is connected to BOTH pickup and gauge (look under dash at
back of gauge).

If it is connected and still doesn't work:

check pickup opening (as you've done). If possible disconnect tubing and
blow through pickup opening and make sure air comes freely out of where the
tube would connect. Ream with appropriate size implement as needed.

make sure tubing has no kinks or obstructions (disconnect on both ends and
blow through it).

This is all I've ever needed to do because problems I've had are generally
related to the tubing coming off, the pickup being clogged, the pitot tube
being trashed, or the tubing being kinked or pressed for some reason.

If I had to go further, I think I'd then check the operation of gauge:

disconnect from pickup but leave connected to gauge. Blow into far end of
tube and have assistant see if gauge moves.

After that, my guess would be bad gauge.\

Good luck with the new boat!

Cam

Networkin

I think you would notice if the tube was not connected to the speed meter by
the cool spray of water dripping all over your feet.

Try disconnect tube from meter side and blow air out towards stern to avoid
lodging obstruction into meter.

Regards,

"Ree-Yees" wrote in message
[...]

Steve L

Has similar problem with Alpha1 leg solved through this group. There is a
tiny hole right on the leading edge of the leg. The hole is easily blocked
with mud, sand and in my case polyester rope strands. It can take quite a
bit of poking around with a length of wire to clean it out.

Steve

"Ree-Yees" wrote in message
[...]

Working on boats, RVs and autos Bill Kiene General 0 June 7th 04 05:55 AM
Adjusting speedometer Kirk Davison General 6 April 6th 04 02:57 AM
cdns working in us marine industry J General 7 October 28th 03 04:22 PM
Speedometer? Ignoramus31468 General 11 July 31st 03 03:50 AM
Is my oil injection working Sockmonkey General 4 July 16th 03 12:20 AM