malcolm

Default fun new engine

you might find this interesting.
http://www.pursuitdynamics.com/default.asp
radical new form of water pulse Jet for Boats.
regards malcolm

Fred Williams

Well unless you want to use sea water, the steam system is a net loss
requring some continious amount of "makeup" water. The vessel will be
required to carry both fuel and water. Or, as I said, boil sea water I
suppose.

malcolm wrote:
you might find this interesting.
http://www.pursuitdynamics.com/default.asp
radical new form of water pulse Jet for Boats.
regards malcolm

malcolm

they say it will use any water , and stainless boiler,
designed to be not fussy, time will tell
also any heat source can be used, solar collectors maybe for small boat
engine.
looks elegant and fun
regards malcolm

malcolm wrote:
you might find this interesting.
http://www.pursuitdynamics.com/default.asp
radical new form of water pulse Jet for Boats.
regards malcolm

RaBi

if this really works as promised it should be the propulsion of choice for
many crafts. simple, light and elegant.
but I still wonder if it really works?

price will be the main issue I guess. While the website says it is cheap to
build nobody mentions it will be cheap to buy. They have a patent on this
which may make this engine really expensive - at least the first couple of
years until it becomes mainstream.

Time will show..

#rb

malcolm wrote:
you might find this interesting.
http://www.pursuitdynamics.com/default.asp
radical new form of water pulse Jet for Boats.
regards malcolm

Glenn Ashmore

Injecting steam at "supersonic speeds" is going to require a really high
pressure boiler. Hot seawater is extremely corrosive and as the water
boils off and the salt concentrates it will get even more so.

Even in fresh water just think of the crud that will build up in the
boiler. Seems like a neat idea though.

--
Glenn Ashmore

there of) at: http://www.rutuonline.com

Patrick

Sounds a wee bit like those little flash steam model boats we used to make
as kids.
A U shaped bit of copper tubing would project from the stern of the boat
just on the water line. And would run slightly down for about 3" to a meths
burner.
After heating up, the boat would be put into the pond or whatever, a little
water would enter the pipe and run down to the hot part where it would be
vapourised causing a jet of steam to come out of the pipe, propelling the
boat along with a series of Put Put Puts
Good fun, I think I might go and make one now for the Kids!
Patrick

----------
In article , "malcolm"
wrote:

you might find this interesting.
http://www.pursuitdynamics.com/default.asp
radical new form of water pulse Jet for Boats.
regards malcolm

Barry Palmer

This unit appears to be some sort of ejector (jet) type pump, where the
momentum of high velocity steam is transferred to the water, raising the mass
of the entire stream so that the thrust is produced at lower exit velocity and
therefore lower energy flow.

Not only is the thermodynamics of heating and cooling questionable from an
energy conservation standpoint, ejector pump (NOT jets found currently in
marine use) efficiency is usually quite low, even when fluids for jet and
reaction are the same density. Do I see another "Magnetohydrodynamic drive"
scam in the works?

Subject: fun new engine
From: "malcolm"
Date: 7/26/03 7:05 AM Pacific Daylight Time
the principle is similar to the WW2 V1 Pulse Jet Engine.
instead of flap valves they use pressure and cavity shape from what I can
gather.
and steam instead of burning kerosine, and of course water as the reaction
medium.
if the system is expensive when it comes out that will be a shame,
but should be easy (maybe) to DIY a system for a small boat.
I am sure somebody will do some plans and work it out.
regards malcolm

wrote:

you might find this interesting.
http://www.pursuitdynamics.com/default.asp
radical new form of water pulse Jet for Boats.
regards malcolm

Barry Palmer, for A
HREF="http://members.aol.com/sevtec/sev/skmr.html"Sevtec/A
malcolm

and dont forget the "always having hot water to brew Tea with"

If that system really works as proposed (including the mentioned

efficiency
increase) and they are able to secure patents worldwide then they will be
able to give all makers of outboarders & marine engines a very hard time!
And of course they will ensure that no plans for their engine are publicly
available so that anybody cheating on their patents has to do his own
research. But if you get an original engine to examine it should be not

too
hard to build your own.

The advantages are numerous:
Just think about having no heavy outboarder any more. It should be

possible
to just have the lightweight jet part hanging of the transom and the heavy
boiler part may be located in the center of the boat.
Fuel and boiler may also be used for cabin & water heating as well,

probably
also for a cooling system like the gas-powered camping fridges.
It should be possible to have boilers working with different fuel types
(just about everything that burns).
And it looks like the jet engine has very few moving parts and so
maintenance requirements should be very low. And that system should last
much longer than the average outboarder (if they get the corrosion problem
sorted out).

Without the outboarder you will need more solar power for the eGimmicks.

Time will show...

#rb