Bonasa

Default Measuring spreader rake?

Hi,

I was wondereing if someone could explain to me the procedure to measure the
angle of rake swept back spreaders have on a sailboat?

I've looked all over and can't find the information and Jensen is long out
of business. I have a fractional rig with the swept back spreaders. Any
simple explanations or ideas on how to do this?

Thanks,
Mike

Dave W

I cannot imagine why anyone would want to know the sweep angle but.....If
you measure up the stays from the deck high enough to clear the house (if
there is one) and place a piece of tape. Measure from one spreader to the
other at the tape elevation. Then measure horizontally from the tape to the
mast. These figures define an isosceles triangle. Solve for the base angle
and that is the sweep angle. Sweep angle equals ....the angle whose cosine
is half the width measurement divided by the mast-to-stay measurement.

tell Rob it's new measuring before a book Pam ASA 0 April 22nd 05 12:29 PM
mast -rake marklan General 1 May 13th 04 01:24 PM
Mast Rake and Mast Bend DSK ASA 48 January 16th 04 08:07 PM
Spreader repair Haakon Dybdahl Boat Building 9 December 5th 03 12:47 PM
help wanted with two spreader questions Wilder Lewis Boat Building 0 July 11th 03 02:51 PM