BoatBanter.com

-   -   Measuring spreader rake? (https://www.boatbanter.com/boat-building/48058-measuring-spreader-rake.html)

Bonasa September 3rd 05 09:54 PM

Measuring spreader rake?

Hi,

I was wondereing if someone could explain to me the procedure to measure the
angle of rake swept back spreaders have on a sailboat?

I've looked all over and can't find the information and Jensen is long out
of business. I have a fractional rig with the swept back spreaders. Any
simple explanations or ideas on how to do this?

Thanks,
Mike

Dave W September 5th 05 03:05 PM

I cannot imagine why anyone would want to know the sweep angle but.....If
you measure up the stays from the deck high enough to clear the house (if
there is one) and place a piece of tape. Measure from one spreader to the
other at the tape elevation. Then measure horizontally from the tape to the
mast. These figures define an isosceles triangle. Solve for the base angle
and that is the sweep angle. Sweep angle equals ....the angle whose cosine
is half the width measurement divided by the mast-to-stay measurement.