marklan

Default mast -rake

I know that if you rake your mast a little to the aft it lets head in to the
wind close hauled a point or two.All I have ever heard is that if your mast
is raked towards the bow it gives you a weather helm .
Does it do any thing else?
The reason I ask is cause I have one like that

Matt Colie

Marklan,
I think that you have some things not figured out.
If the truck moves aft, the helm will go weather.
If you want to go higher, tighten the head stay.
If you want to trade drive for point, start the headsail halyard.

Just about everthing is a critical adjustment that interacts with
everything else, and the amount and result of that interaction is almost
boat specific.

Matt Colie - see prior sig

marklan wrote:
I know that if you rake your mast a little to the aft it lets head in to the
wind close hauled a point or two.All I have ever heard is that if your mast
is raked towards the bow it gives you a weather helm .
Does it do any thing else?
The reason I ask is cause I have one like that

tyvek (long) William R. Watt Boat Building 2 June 30th 04 05:09 AM
mast steps - fastep? bruce General 0 January 23rd 04 03:24 AM
Noisy Mast jayhearts Cruising 13 October 16th 03 04:05 PM
Red over green mast light for sailboat Lee Huddleston Boat Building 4 September 15th 03 04:57 PM
Red over green mast lights for sailboat Lee Huddleston Cruising 16 September 10th 03 02:42 AM