Damian James

On 27 Aug 2005 22:46:50 GMT, William R. Watt said:

DO NOT TAKE YOUR HAND OFF THE TILLER. Heading up in a gust depowers the
sail. (And gains distance to windward when beating.)

Reducing sail makes life easier, but if you have the sheet free and are
ready to head up with a quick twitch of the tiller, you can unload
instantly. Hiking out is good for boat speed, but not required to avoid a
capsize.

by "heading up" he means pushing the tiller away from you as if you were
tacking.

A manoeuvre also known as "luffing".

--Damian
Damian James

On Sun, 28 Aug 2005 21:06:15 GMT, Toller said:
He also drives at 85mph, steering with his knees while opening food
packages; skis straight down black diamonds; and free climbs 40' shale
cliffs. I can't do those either.

Heck, I'd do those things, if the event of them going wrong did not turn
my wife into a widow and me into a smear on the road/slope/cliff.

Doing this stuff doesn't indicate skill so much as indifference to the
consequences of failure.

--Damian
Toller

"Damian James" wrote in message
On Sun, 28 Aug 2005 21:06:15 GMT, Toller said:
He also drives at 85mph, steering with his knees while opening food
packages; skis straight down black diamonds; and free climbs 40' shale
cliffs. I can't do those either.

Heck, I'd do those things, if the event of them going wrong did not turn
my wife into a widow and me into a smear on the road/slope/cliff.

Doing this stuff doesn't indicate skill so much as indifference to the
consequences of failure.

Well, he has been doing them for 55 years. That must indicate some degree
of skill.
But you are right; I am a better skier, but can't keep up with him because I
won't risk the consequences.
But on the other hand (isn't there always another hand) being relaxed
(being indifferent to the consequences) radically improves capabilities.