joe

Default King Starboard or alternatives?

I've been given a 17" aluminum boat which needs the main deck replaced as
it has the usual soft spots on it that need to be repaired.

Somebody mentioned using King Starboard panels but they're very expensive.
What sort of alternative products would you recommend? Or would I be
better off replacing the deck with marine grade plywood and fiberglass?

Thanks

Glenn Ashmore

Starboard is HDPE (polyethylene). While it looks good and doesn't rot it is
not structural and would not be good for a deck. It is slick when wet and
does not take glue or paint at all. (Well it will glue with 3M DP8005 but
that is $14/oz plus a $40 applicator) It will sag over time without a
structural substrate. 3/4" marine grade plywood with a soak coat of epoxy,
a cover of 6oz glass and a coat of non-skid will last just as long, be a lot
stiffer and have a much better footing.

--
Glenn Ashmore

there of) at: http://www.rutuonline.com

"joe" wrote in message
news
I've been given a 17" aluminum boat which needs the main deck replaced as
it has the usual soft spots on it that need to be repaired.

Somebody mentioned using King Starboard panels but they're very expensive.
What sort of alternative products would you recommend? Or would I be
better off replacing the deck with marine grade plywood and fiberglass?

Thanks

Brian D

10-oz would be even better, and if you want to help prevent sag in the
plywood, put 4-oz on the bottom side.

Brian D

"Glenn Ashmore" wrote in message
Starboard is HDPE (polyethylene). While it looks good and doesn't rot it
is not structural and would not be good for a deck. It is slick when wet
and does not take glue or paint at all. (Well it will glue with 3M DP8005
but that is $14/oz plus a $40 applicator) It will sag over time without a
structural substrate. 3/4" marine grade plywood with a soak coat of
epoxy, a cover of 6oz glass and a coat of non-skid will last just as long,
be a lot stiffer and have a much better footing.

--
Glenn Ashmore

there of) at: http://www.rutuonline.com

"joe" wrote in message
news
I've been given a 17" aluminum boat which needs the main deck replaced as
it has the usual soft spots on it that need to be repaired.

Somebody mentioned using King Starboard panels but they're very
expensive.
What sort of alternative products would you recommend? Or would I be
better off replacing the deck with marine grade plywood and fiberglass?

Thanks

StarBoard Projects and Fabrication Techniques Mic Cruising 6 June 23rd 05 05:53 AM
Bruce King Bart Senior ASA 4 June 26th 04 03:43 AM
2004 Melbourne to King Island Yacht Race - 0635 Sked Positions and Handicap Leaders ORCV Rudder Cup General 0 March 6th 04 10:00 PM
"I have a dream, but no license." Scout ASA 2 August 29th 03 04:17 AM