Bart Senior

Default Bruce King

ADIX was relaunched today. The travel-lift had 16 wheels and tires.
It got me thinking about big yachts, and designer Bruce King. I was
thinking about calling him up to talk about the Ericson 46.

It seems he has graduated to mega yachts these days. He has over
7000 of his designs built including most of the Ericson line.

Bruce King Yacht Design
http://www.bkyd.com/DP.htm

WHITEFIN 90'
Pretty boat, along with Whitehwak, I've admired both for years.
I could not find any good links for this one, although I remember
seeing some in the past.

WHITEHAWK 92' $24,000/week charter
http://www.whitehawk.com/

SIGNE 100' [For sale in the Mediterranean]
http://www.spanishpropertyworld.com/...er_yacht_for_s
ale_in_the_mediterranean.htm
http://www.luxuryachts.net/yacht.asp?y=signe [Charter Page]

LIBERTY 80' motoryacht
http://www.luxuryachts.net/yacht.asp?y=signe

HETAIROS 125'
http://www.bkyd.com/Credentials.htm
Royal Huisman yard
http://www.royalhuisman.com/p_ya_hi.htm

SOPHIE 91'

SASKIANNA 50'
http://www.yachtworld.com/core/listi...ked_boats=1089
471&hosturl=newwave
Click on "Forward Portside View"

ALEJANDRA 136' [California Style--great Latitude 38 pics, but not of
Alejandra!]
http://www.latitude38.com/LectronicL...y25/May25.html

ANTONISA 124'
http://www.bkyd.com/Contents.htm
Nice article and photo's
http://boothbayregister.maine.com/20...best_boat.html

MARIA CATTIVA
http://www.royalhuisman.com/p_mi_maria%20cattiva.htm
http://www.expo21xx.com/nauticanews/...yal_huisman/na
utica_default.htm

Pacific Seacraft 38T Fast Trawler
http://www.seacraft.com/38t.htm

CECILIE-MARIE 130' [Under Construction]
http://www.oceanyachtsystems.co.uk/ceciliemarie.html

SCHEHERAZADE 154' [Under Construction]
You must have heard about this one and it's famous keel.
http://www.socius.on.ca/marspages/marspressrel.html
http://www.westsystem.com/ewmag/17/scheherazade.html
http://www.hodgdonyachts.com/scheherazade.shtml

DSK

Bart Senior wrote:
ADIX was relaunched today. The travel-lift had 16 wheels and tires.
It got me thinking about big yachts, and designer Bruce King. I was
thinking about calling him up to talk about the Ericson 46.

Might work. I bet he is still fond of his older designs. However it's
likely that the underlings in his office will give you the brushoff.
they don't make any money from enquiries about boats that were designed
decades ago.

It seems he has graduated to mega yachts these days.

That's the career path of successful designers. By chance, I have some
experience like yours with Ron Holland. My wife and I had an offer on a
Holland designed yacht and I contacted his office by phone & by email,
wanting some of the design data. Got the brushoff... they are doing
mega-mega-yachts these days and it seems there is big money in it.

OTOH while playing tourist in Ireland, I wandered into several sailing
clubs including the one where Ron Holland has his Dragon. He has his
spinnaker launch set up slightly different from the others. I talked to
a couple of the Dragon sailors one day (got invited out to crew in a
race but unfortunately did not have the time), came back the next day,
and met Mr. Holland. We briefly talked about his spinnaker set up and
the boat we were trying to buy.

.... He has over
7000 of his designs built including most of the Ericson line.

Ericsons are quite well built too. The flush deck 39, smaller sister to
yours, is one of my favorites.

Thansk for the links. Lots of great stuff there. While there is no doubt
that Whitefin, Whitehawk, and especially Antonisia are very
impressive... I mean a pipe organ is one amenity that no J-boat could
boast of, and she's certainly faster... my favorite is Sophie. Only 90
feet but purely for sailing... no 'guest cockpit.'

Fresh Breezes- Doug King

Bart Senior

DSK wrote

Bart Senior wrote:

7000 of his designs built including most of the Ericson line.

Ericsons are quite well built too. The flush deck 39, smaller sister to
yours, is one of my favorites.

I've seen pictures of it. They both share the oval lines of the coaming
brought back to the stern. Makes for a nice looking design. I find
that it makes it difficult to put on a dodger--unless I move three winches.
That is a distinct possibility. While it's not desirable for racing, I'm
more interested in staying dry and warm, and also out of the sun.

I was wondring if it had the same keel configuration as my boat,
and it does.

http://support.pacificseacraft.com/Ericson/E39.pdf

My boat had the wheel mounted forward in the cockpit. At some
point it was moved aft and put on a Edison pedestal which I prefer.
I was not until I spotted some unused wire sheaves and remembered
looking at th Ericson 46 broshure that I determined that.

Thansk for the links. Lots of great stuff there. While there is no doubt
that Whitefin, Whitehawk, and especially Antonisia are very
impressive... I mean a pipe organ is one amenity that no J-boat could
boast of, and she's certainly faster... my favorite is Sophie. Only 90
feet but purely for sailing... no 'guest cockpit.'

All the big boats are gorgeous. I like the idea of a traditional topsides
coupled with modern underbody. It makes for a fast and beautiful
combination.

I think it was White Hawk that was modeled after Ticonderoga. I've
seen Ticonderoga in it's home slip in Stamford Connecticut many times
and up in Newport fairly often.

I lean towards the ketch rigs because it give you more to play with
balancing the helm, and a mizzen makes a great "air" rudder for manueving.
I used to practice docking under sail in a fat 41' ketch. The mizzen
make that simple and fun.

If money were no an object I'd pick Alejandra or Signe. Did you see
the electrical panel on Signe? WOW! I'd like to see that up close.

Perhaps I can beg a tour of ADIX. If I have time this week I'll head
over there and see what I can do. Perhaps if I came by water, I'd be
more welcome--I've used that method in the past. I sailed back and
forth with my eyes glued on a boat, demonstrating some solo-sailing
skills got me a tour of a nice boat once. And, of course it was only
one person, me, not a crowd trying to get a tour.

I've been doing lots of rewiring on ECHO. I'll take a picture for you
as some point. Although most people don't like exposed wiring, for
my HAM gear, it is all exposed on the ceiling above the Nav Station.
That part is a bit chaotic and most people don't like it. Ham's do
because it is easy to reconfigure and change antennas, radios,
or whatever. The Electrical Panel itself is something I spent a lot
of time planning and it came out well--all Blue Seas breakers
labeled and backlit with LED's, on black fold down formica
panels. It looks good.

I would not put to sea with it as it is. I would first want to build
some backing to prevent water from potentially getting in. I've seen
fire damage on many boats. In every case, it started at the
electrical panel--so water must have been the cause. That is
scary and something to treat carefully. I've even considered
moving the whole panel to a drier location centered, in the aft
cabin.

All these boats look better with dark hulls. I miss my dark
blue hull. I console myself that it will be cooler.

So what are you plans with your trawler? Why don't you
come up for a visit, and bring your Johnson 18 with you!

Bart Senior

DSK

Bart Senior wrote:
I've seen pictures of it. They both share the oval lines of the coaming
brought back to the stern. Makes for a nice looking design.

Yes, they are very handsome boats. Pics don't really do it justice.

I was wondring if it had the same keel configuration as my boat,
and it does.

http://support.pacificseacraft.com/Ericson/E39.pdf

I think the hulls are almost identical, just scaled up. This is a really
nice sailing boat, no hard curves anywhere in it, very smooth ride &
steers marvelously. It really suffers in light air due to the high
wetted surface (and the fact that it weighs ten tons), but they handle a
chop better than any other fin keeler I know of.

Have you seen this
http://www.ussmaverick.net/

My boat had the wheel mounted forward in the cockpit. At some
point it was moved aft and put on a Edison pedestal which I prefer.
I was not until I spotted some unused wire sheaves and remembered
looking at th Ericson 46 broshure that I determined that.

I kind of liked the helm forward. It puts the helmsman where he'd be
anyway with a tiller, but without the tiller obstructing the cockpit.

All the big boats are gorgeous. I like the idea of a traditional topsides
coupled with modern underbody. It makes for a fast and beautiful
combination.

heh heh compare with some of N.G. Herreshoff's designs... the
underbodies are not all that modern! Anyway I like the lifting keel too.
A draft 7' doesn't sound like shallow draft until you look at the
waterline length and displacement... and board-down draft (15' IIRC)

If money were no an object I'd pick Alejandra or Signe.

Not me... if money were no object I'd have something like Mari-Cha or
maybe one of the huge cats.... then again, if you want a boat styled
like an 1890s yacht there are a few actual 1890s yachts to be picked up...

... Did you see
the electrical panel on Signe? WOW! I'd like to see that up close.

I'd like to see the whole engineering plant up close. It looks really
first class. Maybe I ought to switch careers.

Perhaps I can beg a tour of ADIX. If I have time this week I'll head
over there and see what I can do. Perhaps if I came by water, I'd be
more welcome--I've used that method in the past. I sailed back and
forth with my eyes glued on a boat, demonstrating some solo-sailing
skills got me a tour of a nice boat once. And, of course it was only
one person, me, not a crowd trying to get a tour.

That often works well. Phil Bolger once wrote about the difference in
the reception you get when you show up in a classy rowing boat (he had
in mind a pretty lapstrake wherry) versus some nondescript mass-produced
clorox bottle. I've noticed it myself... although the best way to get
invited in where you aren't really wanted is to show up with a pretty
girl and stand slightly behind her. It works after eleven years of
marriage too, and I don't have to prompt her at all

I've been doing lots of rewiring on ECHO. I'll take a picture for you
as some point. Although most people don't like exposed wiring, for
my HAM gear, it is all exposed on the ceiling above the Nav Station.
That part is a bit chaotic and most people don't like it. Ham's do
because it is easy to reconfigure and change antennas, radios,
or whatever.

If there's a good practical reason, and the downside can be minimized,
it sounds fine to me.

... The Electrical Panel itself is something I spent a lot
of time planning and it came out well--all Blue Seas breakers
labeled and backlit with LED's, on black fold down formica
panels. It looks good.

I would not put to sea with it as it is. I would first want to build
some backing to prevent water from potentially getting in. I've seen
fire damage on many boats. In every case, it started at the
electrical panel--so water must have been the cause. That is
scary and something to treat carefully. I've even considered
moving the whole panel to a drier location centered, in the aft
cabin.

Dunno, never had much problem with water getting into the power panel,
unless it was by way of deck leacks, or simply the long term effects of
humidity & poor boat care. High amp loads, even at twelve volts, no air
circulation, a little corrosion, and minimal wiring specs are a recipe
for disaster.

I don't like our boat's wiring. It is kind of sloppy and disorganized.
However I am not prepared to rip it all out and start from scratch, and
unfortunately there are limited routes for the wiring I am adding. But I
am keeping in mind ripping out the old system one day.

So what are you plans with your trawler? Why don't you
come up for a visit, and bring your Johnson 18 with you!

Work keeps interfering. At some point we are definitely coming north for
the summer... probably several summers... but we're not quite ready to
jump off yet!

Fresh Breezes- Doug King

Bart Senior

DSK wrote

Bart Senior wrote:

Perhaps I can beg a tour of ADIX. If I have time this week I'll head
over there and see what I can do. Perhaps if I came by water, I'd be

That often works well. Phil Bolger once wrote about the difference in
the reception you get when you show up in a classy rowing boat (he had
in mind a pretty lapstrake wherry) versus some nondescript mass-produced
clorox bottle. I've noticed it myself... although the best way to get
invited in where you aren't really wanted is to show up with a pretty
girl and stand slightly behind her. It works after eleven years of
marriage too, and I don't have to prompt her at all

Too late. ADIX has left the harbor. I didn't even get a chance to take
any pictures.

You are right about the pretty woman. I could not get a sponsor to
join my yacht club until I brought my gorgeous friend Sherry along.
She found a sponsor for me in less than 10 minutes.

scary and something to treat carefully. I've even considered
moving the whole panel to a drier location centered, in the aft
cabin.

Dunno, never had much problem with water getting into the power panel,
unless it was by way of deck leaks, or simply the long term effects of
humidity & poor boat care. High amp loads, even at twelve volts, no air
circulation, a little corrosion, and minimal wiring specs are a recipe
for disaster.

There is a port light above it which could potentially leak. Also a chain
plate on the adjacent bulkhead.