DSK

Default Bruce King

Bart Senior wrote:
ADIX was relaunched today. The travel-lift had 16 wheels and tires.
It got me thinking about big yachts, and designer Bruce King. I was
thinking about calling him up to talk about the Ericson 46.

Might work. I bet he is still fond of his older designs. However it's
likely that the underlings in his office will give you the brushoff.
they don't make any money from enquiries about boats that were designed
decades ago.

It seems he has graduated to mega yachts these days.

That's the career path of successful designers. By chance, I have some
experience like yours with Ron Holland. My wife and I had an offer on a
Holland designed yacht and I contacted his office by phone & by email,
wanting some of the design data. Got the brushoff... they are doing
mega-mega-yachts these days and it seems there is big money in it.

OTOH while playing tourist in Ireland, I wandered into several sailing
clubs including the one where Ron Holland has his Dragon. He has his
spinnaker launch set up slightly different from the others. I talked to
a couple of the Dragon sailors one day (got invited out to crew in a
race but unfortunately did not have the time), came back the next day,
and met Mr. Holland. We briefly talked about his spinnaker set up and
the boat we were trying to buy.

.... He has over
7000 of his designs built including most of the Ericson line.

Ericsons are quite well built too. The flush deck 39, smaller sister to
yours, is one of my favorites.

Thansk for the links. Lots of great stuff there. While there is no doubt
that Whitefin, Whitehawk, and especially Antonisia are very
impressive... I mean a pipe organ is one amenity that no J-boat could
boast of, and she's certainly faster... my favorite is Sophie. Only 90
feet but purely for sailing... no 'guest cockpit.'

Fresh Breezes- Doug King