Pete

Default Bruce vs. Lewmar and Simpson Lawrence / Horizon claw anchors?

Greetings,

I'm in the market for a larger primary anchor, and was leaning towards a
66lb Bruce. I've found that Lewmar and and Simpson Lawrence also make
claw-style anchors at less than 1/2 the cost of a Bruce. Does anyone have
experience/comments on these and how they compare to the "original" Bruce?
I haven't been able to locate specifications (yield strength, construction,
alloy, etc.) for either.

Thanks,
-Pete

Doug Dotson

I have a 66# Bruce and have been very happy with it. I have
not had any first hand experience with the knockoffs but I
have been told that they are not as good. Same thing applies
with the knockoff CQRs.

Doug
s/v Callista

"Pete" wrote in message
Greetings,

I'm in the market for a larger primary anchor, and was leaning towards a
66lb Bruce. I've found that Lewmar and and Simpson Lawrence also make
claw-style anchors at less than 1/2 the cost of a Bruce. Does anyone have
experience/comments on these and how they compare to the "original" Bruce?
I haven't been able to locate specifications (yield strength,

construction,
alloy, etc.) for either.

Thanks,
-Pete

Steve

I have a 35# CQR and a 35# Claw-style on my bow.. Since my vertical windlass
is set for chain to either one they are both 'primary'.

I had used the same size CQR on my last boat and had never used a Claw or
Bruce before, I started out using Claw this summer. I estimate I anchored
over 100 time this summer in and around Puget sound.. Mostly fairly deep
water so my scope was frequently less than ideal. I only dragged anchor once
and that was because I used insufficient scope due to crap pots set all
around me (never again).

I haven't switched the chain over to the CQR yet.. I'm happy with the Claw..

BTW. I purchased my Claw-Style from Boat US and I suspect it was part of the
very first shipments of these anchors from China.. No problem with that, the
forging looks good and the hot dipped galvanizing is well done and very
thick..

I may be wrong, but I think that Simpson Lawrence are also getting their
Claw-Style from China as well.. (Lewmar and S/L are now the same, so I'm
told).

--
My opinion and experience. FWIW

Steve