Default $200 sailboat in Stitch and Glue?

I would really appreciate some input on this if someone has experience
in it. I built Dave Carnelle's $200 sailboat a couple of years ago.
Now, I'm by no means a boat builder, but I was able to put the boat
together fairly well. I had difficulty joining the sides with the
epoxy resin and tape like in the plans...the joints kept breaking. I
eventually just used butt joints. The boat ended up being a little
bowed in on one side, and I definately did a few things wrong/sloppy
that I wouldn't have done the second time around.

So, basically, I want to build the boat again, but was wondering if it
can be done with the stitch and glue technique? If I do this, would I
still need the 3 frames? Part of the problem with my first build was
that water leaked in. Nothing to really worry about, but enough to get
your butt wet!

I'm thinking that if I totally seal the new boat with fiberglass I will
be happier.

Also, I was wondering if anyone knows of a good online source for
stitch and glue techique? I get the basics, but just wonder about
little things.

Thanks

You can try this link:

www.clcboats.com

They specialize in stitch and glue kayaks, but, the technique should be
the same. Also, they have a forum for questions and a tips section.

Good Luck,
Paul

Junior Member

Location: Olympia Wa