Steve Lortie

Default Plywood question

I have a houseboat and I want to redo the surface of the upper deck with a
vinyl membrane like product. It requires a fresh clean wood surface to glue
it to.
My question - can I nail/screw down plywood on top of the existing surface
which is fiberglass over plywood? With the glass underneath and the vinyl
over it, will the plywood survive this or will it rot out quickly?

Thanks

William R. Watt

As long as it stays dry, rot should not be a problem. If the vinly
membrane leaks or water gets in around the edge, you'll have problems.
It's the same as the plywood subfloor in a bathrom or laundry room, and
a plywood roof under roof shingles. If the floor or roof covering
leaks over time, the plywood underneath will deteriorate.

homepage: www.ncf.ca/~ag384/top.htm