Meindert Sprang

"Some Guy" wrote in message ...
the surface), my original question is - does recorcinol glue need
bonding pressure in order to do it's job?

Yes, it does. It requires a tight fit (planed surfaces) and about 125 to 150
pounds per square inch of pressure. So i'd say, forget about it. Use epoxy.

Meindert

William R. Watt

Now that the situtation is more clearly described, I'd avoid using adhesive.

The screws will hold the boards to the post. Just make sure when the
boards warp they don't warp away from the post. Do that by looking at the
end grain and attaching the boards to the post with the end gain curved up
in the middle. When the board warps it will attempt to rise in the middle
but the screws will prevent that, so the edges will bear down on the post
which is what you want.

Avoiding glue gives you the option of replacing any boards that get
damaged or split with age.

If you want some sort of bedding compound between the boards and post, and
I wouldn't bother, then tar (asphalt roofing patch), tarred paper (roofing
felt), or liquid nails (polyurethane mastic in a tube) are good for that.
Liquid nails is an adhesive. All of those will keep water, bugs, or
whatever from getting in between the boards and the post. They are a lot
cheaper than epoxy adhesive thickend with microballons or wood flour.

homepage: www.ncf.ca/~ag384/top.htm
Tyke

Sounds like the boards are for aestetics.

I would go with a construction adhesive if you really want to glue. This
does not require pressure and is cheap for the amount you will need.
Resourcinol is expensive.

Gorilla glue or another urethane definately needs pressure. The glue foams
and expands as it absorbs moisture to set off the curing. I did not
adequately clamp one piece and it raised 1/8in on me.

Another option is more screws and paint over them.

Dave Paine.

"Some Guy" wrote in message ...
I've got some 6x6 spruce fence posts that I'm applying finished planks
of 15/16" pine to cover the exposed part of the post (front, back, and
a little of the sides). I'm using a *few* brass screws to hold the
planks to the post, while a water-proof glue will bond the planks to
the post.

Seems that my 2 choices for glue is (a) an out-door version of Elmer's
Wood Glue, or (b) a 2-part resorcinol glue (DAP/Weldwood) that is
popular in marine applications.

I've read where the resorcinol has more specific needs (temperature,
humidity) which I have no problem with (this time of year)- but does
the wood need a high compressive pressure while curing? I can't apply
any such pressure in my case (planks are 10 ft long) so the only
holding pressure is going to come from a line of brass screws running
up the center of the plank every 2 feet.

Since the posts will be topped with a wide cap, I don't expect them to
have direct exposure to rain, but being hit by a water sprinkler
continuously for an hour at a time isin't out of the question.

Is bonding or clamping pressure critical for resorcinol?

Or do I have an alternative to Elmer's wood glue?

Who retails resorcinol in Ontario (Canada) ? Home Depot? Rona?