Tyke

Sounds like the boards are for aestetics.

I would go with a construction adhesive if you really want to glue. This
does not require pressure and is cheap for the amount you will need.
Resourcinol is expensive.

Gorilla glue or another urethane definately needs pressure. The glue foams
and expands as it absorbs moisture to set off the curing. I did not
adequately clamp one piece and it raised 1/8in on me.

Another option is more screws and paint over them.

Dave Paine.

"Some Guy" wrote in message ...
I've got some 6x6 spruce fence posts that I'm applying finished planks
of 15/16" pine to cover the exposed part of the post (front, back, and
a little of the sides). I'm using a *few* brass screws to hold the
planks to the post, while a water-proof glue will bond the planks to
the post.

Seems that my 2 choices for glue is (a) an out-door version of Elmer's
Wood Glue, or (b) a 2-part resorcinol glue (DAP/Weldwood) that is
popular in marine applications.

I've read where the resorcinol has more specific needs (temperature,
humidity) which I have no problem with (this time of year)- but does
the wood need a high compressive pressure while curing? I can't apply
any such pressure in my case (planks are 10 ft long) so the only
holding pressure is going to come from a line of brass screws running
up the center of the plank every 2 feet.

Since the posts will be topped with a wide cap, I don't expect them to
have direct exposure to rain, but being hit by a water sprinkler
continuously for an hour at a time isin't out of the question.

Is bonding or clamping pressure critical for resorcinol?

Or do I have an alternative to Elmer's wood glue?

Who retails resorcinol in Ontario (Canada) ? Home Depot? Rona?