Some Guy

Default Questions about resorcinol (waterproof) glue (made by DAP/Weldwood)

I've got some 6x6 spruce fence posts that I'm applying finished planks
of 15/16" pine to cover the exposed part of the post (front, back, and
a little of the sides). I'm using a *few* brass screws to hold the
planks to the post, while a water-proof glue will bond the planks to
the post.

Seems that my 2 choices for glue is (a) an out-door version of Elmer's
Wood Glue, or (b) a 2-part resorcinol glue (DAP/Weldwood) that is
popular in marine applications.

I've read where the resorcinol has more specific needs (temperature,
humidity) which I have no problem with (this time of year)- but does
the wood need a high compressive pressure while curing? I can't apply
any such pressure in my case (planks are 10 ft long) so the only
holding pressure is going to come from a line of brass screws running
up the center of the plank every 2 feet.

Since the posts will be topped with a wide cap, I don't expect them to
have direct exposure to rain, but being hit by a water sprinkler
continuously for an hour at a time isin't out of the question.

Is bonding or clamping pressure critical for resorcinol?

Or do I have an alternative to Elmer's wood glue?

Who retails resorcinol in Ontario (Canada) ? Home Depot? Rona?
William R. Watt

Some Guy ) writes:
... but does
the wood need a high compressive pressure while curing? I can't apply
any such pressure in my case (planks are 10 ft long) so the only
holding pressure is going to come from a line of brass screws running
up the center of the plank every 2 feet.

weights work as well as clamps for adhesives. lay the posts on
their sides and cover with bricks, large containers of water, or whatever.

Is bonding or clamping pressure critical for resorcinol?

yes, from what I've read. I never used it. It produces a dark purple stain.

Who retails resorcinol in Ontario (Canada) ? Home Depot? Rona?

I don't think so. Try the Yellow Pages under "plastics" or maybe
"adhesives". Also try www.google.ca and click on "pages from Canada" when
searching to limit responses, optionally add "+ toronto" or wherever you
live to the search string to limit search futher.

hope that works.

homepage: www.ncf.ca/~ag384/top.htm
Glenn Ashmore

Resorcinol would be way over kill for that. A better choice would be
Titebond II or a polyurethane like ProBond or Gorilla. Elmers wood glue
(either white or yellow) would not hold up. Titebond II would require a
little less pressure and is waterproof as long as it is not constantly
immersed. I have been playing with the new Titebond III and it is even
better. Still not a marine glue but good for high humidity joints.

If you can't clamp a 10' 6x6 you ain't got enough clamps! No self
respecting DIYer can have less than a dozen bar clamps. You are definitely
not leaving the proper hints for Fathers day and Christmas. Bet you got a
closet full of ties. :-)

--
Glenn Ashmore

there of) at: http://www.rutuonline.com

"Some Guy" wrote in message ...
[...]

Some Guy

Glenn Ashmore wrote:

If you can't clamp a 10' 6x6 you ain't got enough clamps! No
respecting DIYer can have less than a dozen bar clamps.

Yea, I got lots of bar clamps, but I can't clamp around the posts
because the fence is already up in between the posts. Maybe fence
isin't quite the right word. It's not a wood fence - it's
poured-in-place concrete. So it's not coming out.

I don't think they make C-clamps with arms that are 8 feet long.
Lew Hodgett

Some Guy wrote:

Yea, I got lots of bar clamps, but I can't clamp around the posts
because the fence is already up in between the posts. Maybe fence
isin't quite the right word. It's not a wood fence - it's
poured-in-place concrete. So it's not coming out.

I don't think they make C-clamps with arms that are 8 feet long.

Sounds like it is Spanish Windlass time.

Lew

William R. Watt

Lew Hodgett ) writes:
Some Guy wrote:

Yea, I got lots of bar clamps, but I can't clamp around the posts
because the fence is already up in between the posts. Maybe fence
isin't quite the right word. It's not a wood fence - it's
poured-in-place concrete. So it's not coming out.

I don't think they make C-clamps with arms that are 8 feet long.

Sounds like it is Spanish Windlass time.

What he means is a loop of rope around the post twisted tight with a stick
of wood. You'll want to put wooden blocks under the loops so the pressure
is on the flat instead of the edge.

Clamps? Who needs clamps?

homepage: www.ncf.ca/~ag384/top.htm
Some Guy

Lew Hodgett wrote:

I don't think they make C-clamps with arms that are 8 feet long.

Sounds like it is Spanish Windlass time.

Aren't they used to pull things together? With rope? You can't push
with a rope.

I need to push a plank against a (verticle) post (assuming I really do
need the pressure for bonding with glue). I don't have access to the
back side of the post.
Some Guy

"William R. Watt" wrote:

I don't think they make C-clamps with arms that are 8 feet
long.

Sounds like it is Spanish Windlass time.

What he means is a loop of rope around the post twisted tight
with a stick of wood. You'll want to put wooden blocks under
the loops so the pressure is on the flat instead of the edge.

That only would work at the top of the post (which rises above the
wall portion in between the posts). And I'd rather use a bar clamp
(or two) there anyways and not a twisted rope.

Since it's impractical to rig something up to apply pressure to keep
the plank against the post (but I will have some screws to hold them
together), and since the plank is finished, stained, with a
polyurethane top coat (rigging something against it would likely mark
the surface), my original question is - does recorcinol glue need
bonding pressure in order to do it's job? I don't care how much I put
on in between the plank and the post (and I don't care if it bleeds
purple because it ain't gonna bleed through wood that's 15/16" thick).

This is not hard-wood I'm gluing together...
Lawrence Wasserman

In article , Some Guy wrote:
Lew Hodgett wrote:

I don't think they make C-clamps with arms that are 8 feet long.

Sounds like it is Spanish Windlass time.

Aren't they used to pull things together? With rope? You can't push
with a rope.

I need to push a plank against a (verticle) post (assuming I really do
need the pressure for bonding with glue). I don't have access to the
back side of the post.

How about using more screws and construction adhesive (liquid nails or
PL)

--

Larry Wasserman Baltimore, Maryland

Patrick Conroy

Some Guy wrote in :

Or do I have an alternative to Elmer's wood glue?

I'm in the middle of an exterior porch swing from White Oak. Exterior, Sun
baked, White Oak - etc. I went w/ Gorilla Glue.

Time will tell if I choose poorly...