Mark

Default Replacing floor in 1986 Four Winns

I have decided to replace the old floor in my 1986 Four Winns, as it
is start to get spongy and there is some rot in the hold compartment
underneath. My question is what method do any of you suggest to cut
out and remove the old floor. I would like to remove it in as few
pieces as poosible to have them as a templete. I am planning to use
good quality plywood and coat it with either epoxy or fiberglass.
Chris

I've found that when cutting out fiberglass pieces and wood is in the
vicinity, then a grinder with a cutting disc on it works great. I used the
cutting disc previously to cut steel, and it seemed to work great here too,
like cutting butter.
Just watch your breathing because of the dust. Can't recall if the disc got
hot or not too...

"Mark" wrote in message
I have decided to replace the old floor in my 1986 Four Winns, as it
is start to get spongy and there is some rot in the hold compartment
underneath. My question is what method do any of you suggest to cut
out and remove the old floor. I would like to remove it in as few
pieces as poosible to have them as a templete. I am planning to use
good quality plywood and coat it with either epoxy or fiberglass.

Terry Spragg

Mark wrote:

I have decided to replace the old floor in my 1986 Four Winns, as it
is start to get spongy and there is some rot in the hold compartment
underneath. My question is what method do any of you suggest to cut
out and remove the old floor. I would like to remove it in as few
pieces as poosible to have them as a templete. I am planning to use
good quality plywood and coat it with either epoxy or fiberglass.

Spin saw with depth guide?

Terry K

Brian Whatcott

On Mon, 11 Jul 2005 17:29:53 -0400, Mark wrote:

I have decided to replace the old floor in my 1986 Four Winns, as it
is start to get spongy and there is some rot in the hold compartment
underneath. My question is what method do any of you suggest to cut
out and remove the old floor. I would like to remove it in as few
pieces as poosible to have them as a templete. I am planning to use
good quality plywood and coat it with either epoxy or fiberglass.

We used a power jig saw with a judiciously chosen blade length on a
tri-hull floor (where the hull was as close as 1/2 inch away from the
floor....) Take care....

Brian Whatcott
John Seager

"Terry Spragg" wrote in message
Mark wrote:

I have decided to replace the old floor in my 1986 Four Winns, as

itSNIP

Spin saw with depth guide?

I've recently cut out some pieces of 12mm plywood decking with a circular
saw. With careful setting of the depth of cut you can go exactly as deep as
you need, and no more. I got it down to such precision that I was able to
cut the wood but leave behind the layer of paint, which I could break with a
firm thump. The only problem is getting right up to the edge, but my saw
cuts to within about 15mm of the edge. Corners are best finished off with a
jig saw. There is a special wide blade that allows you to cut parallel to
the surface (i.e. without the blade going down through the wood , much like
you would with a tenon saw) - this works very well for getting into awkward
corners.
John.

Replacing floor in 86 Four Winns Mark General 5 July 13th 05 04:21 AM
Four Winns Freedom 170 Mike General 6 February 27th 04 05:17 PM
Four Winns Freedom 170 Mike Cruising 12 February 27th 04 05:17 PM
Comments on a Four Winns 245 Vista (1986) David Kassnoff General 1 August 25th 03 05:17 AM
FS: 1986 26ft Four Winns Liberator in Kingston, Ontario, Canada kmb Marketplace 0 August 15th 03 05:54 PM