Norm

Default Dual or Geared belt for Perkins 4-108

I wonder if I can convert my 4-108 to a dual belt or geared belt driven
alternator? The 100 amp Balmar seems to eat belts and I generally
reduce the load to start at 40-50 amps. Spreading out the belt load
seems a good alternative. Also anyone put two alternators on and how
did you do that?
Thanks,
Norm

Mungo Bulge

The simple answer, sure you can. Is it COTs, maybe. As the song says,
"it just takes money"
http://boatdiesel.com/Forums/main.cf...=2&Forum_ID=66
A search of this forum (alternator) turned up "Belts&Pulleys" but it
is members only so I didn't read the post.

I have added secondary alternators to jeeps, which would pose the same
problems of fabrication.
Usually mounted over and under. Most people use the same alignment on
one belt for the two alternators. I use an offset alignment with two
belts (the same size) for redundancy and serviceability. I can remove
one alternator and still use the other. This would require double
pulleys on the crank and whatever else runs off the same belt.
Double belting is a good fix for belt load problems, but conditioning
and proper adjustment is usually all that is requited. If you convert
to toothed belts the is always the availability issue. If it breaks
you need the exact replacement whereas V-belts can be had or made most
anywhere.
If your setup is eating belts, it sounds more like an alignment/setup
problem. In the case of V-belts and pulleys, tension and alignment are
important. Tension is the most miss understood of the two. Too tight a
tension can cause premature belt wear, actually wearing out belts
faster than not enough tension, not to mention what effect it has on
bearings, and pulley alignment

"Norm" wrote in message
ups.com...
|I wonder if I can convert my 4-108 to a dual belt or geared belt
driven
| alternator? The 100 amp Balmar seems to eat belts and I generally
| reduce the load to start at 40-50 amps. Spreading out the belt load
| seems a good alternative. Also anyone put two alternators on and
how
| did you do that?
| Thanks,
| Norm

dazed and confuzzed

Norm wrote:
I wonder if I can convert my 4-108 to a dual belt or geared belt driven
alternator? The 100 amp Balmar seems to eat belts and I generally
reduce the load to start at 40-50 amps. Spreading out the belt load
seems a good alternative. Also anyone put two alternators on and how
did you do that?
Thanks,
Norm

why not use a poly vee (micro-vee) belt? the carrying capacity is
significantly greater than vee belts, and the resistance is less.

--
Your ridiculous little opinion has been noted.

My diesel truck has been modified to run on an environmentally friendly
mixture of clean burning Caribou fat and whale oil.

"Tolerance is the virtue of a man without convictions"
G.K. Chesterton

Dual station transfer unit [email protected] Boat Building 0 June 29th 05 01:17 PM
What happens when a belt breaks? David Pendleton General 9 August 2nd 04 11:27 PM
Alternator Belt Sizing Wayne.B General 6 July 23rd 04 04:48 PM
Alternator Belt Sizing Wayne.B Boat Building 6 July 23rd 04 04:48 PM
Salt water dual console recommendations please. Dan Krueger General 0 September 6th 03 02:19 AM